Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Trading Post - Bikes for sale! Race Bikes

NEWBIE RACE BIKE

Moderator: Michael Vinten

NEWBIE RACE BIKE

Postby terryjj1 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:57 am

HI,

I would like to start racing but would need a bike first. :lol: ..if you have something for sale that is not too expensive for me to start with and is ready to ride (presently a mechanical idiot :? ), please let me know with pics and as many details as possible. Size doesn't matter..or does it? I live in Ottawa...not bragging just a note....anyway, let me know what you have...I don't want to spend a lot right now because of my current newbie status...something close to Ottawa would be nice too

thanks

TJ
No number...
terryjj1

Re: NEWBIE RACE BIKE

Postby racerdude413 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:53 am

Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

Postby Robert Marshall » Fri May 29, 2015 10:55 am

If you come out to the Quinte TT, I am sure you will find many people who can point you in a suitable direction. Plus there will probably be a few 'ready to go' bikes for sale.

The there is also the Whyte Racing Rent-a-Racer program. Tim Whyte has a fully prepped race bike he is renting out. Just show up and ride.....

You can see posts about the Rent-a-Racer program on the VRRA FB page I believe, or contact Tim for details.

What ever you end up with, please have someone with experience go through it with you. Even though it may be sold as race ready, it is up to you to make sure it is safe and ready to go. You would be surprised at what breaks, and what was good for the last guy, but is not good for you.

Good Luck.

Rob
#29 Ducati 900SS
Robert Marshall

Postby jim kots » Fri May 29, 2015 11:42 am

The EX above is an excellent choice, good looking as well. Since I won't be riding this season I have a CB450 that I would rather sell than store, its not a looker but seems to run well.

It depends how involved you want to get, P4 bikes can be gas and go, P1 will need some wrenching.

Cheers Jim
jim kots
VRRA Member

Postby terryjj1 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:35 pm

would like to be gas n go...for now...repairs can come later...have you any pics of this cb?
No number...
terryjj1

Postby terryjj1 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Jim Kots wrote:The EX above is an excellent choice, good looking as well. Since I won't be riding this season I have a CB450 that I would rather sell than store, its not a looker but seems to run well.

It depends how involved you want to get, P4 bikes can be gas and go, P1 will need some wrenching.

Cheers Jim

Where does one locate the definitions of these P ratings?

thanks

tj
No number...
terryjj1

Postby Robert Marshall » Fri May 29, 2015 3:47 pm

The rule book is listed on the web site, and outlines everything that is required.
#29 Ducati 900SS
Robert Marshall

Postby terryjj1 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:48 pm

Robert Marshall wrote:The rule book is listed on the web site, and outlines everything that is required.

thank you!
No number...
terryjj1

Postby jim kots » Fri May 29, 2015 4:18 pm

I'll take some pics and post tonight. The CB450 is a P1 500, smaller class participation, early period (P1 is pre 1968). The EX500 runs in the latest period, P4 F3 pre 1990 light weight machines. Very popular class.

Pros and cons to both periods.

The CB has a few mods this is what I know:

4 plug cylinder head, new plugs
Fresh oil no replaceable filters
Velocity stacks on stock carbs, I believe.
Electronic ignition, total loss
New battery
Has been over bored by previous owner
Will need new rubber
front brakes should be updated, 4LS technically not bad drum brakes just not performing well
GP shift pattern
Should pass tech with new rubber, belly pan is also included.

Looking for $2000, if I start working on it I'll probably take less.

The bike was at Cayauga a few weeks ago, hadn't been run in a few years started on a roller starter then by bump start. I only had two sessions seems quick enough, GP shift took some getting use to.
jim kots
VRRA Member

Postby Ken McAdam » Fri May 29, 2015 6:16 pm

I have a friends FZR400 in the shop now thats for sale. Pipe, Fox rear, Racetech front with preload, 17" rear conversion oil containing bodywork he is looking for 2500
If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!
Ken McAdam
VRRA Member

Postby terryjj1 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Ken McAdam wrote:I have a friends FZR400 in the shop now thats for sale. Pipe, Fox rear, Racetech front with preload, 17" rear conversion oil containing bodywork he is looking for 2500

Any pictures you can send me? What year?
No number...
terryjj1

Postby Ken McAdam » Fri May 29, 2015 6:48 pm

I may be able to send some tomorrow being that they were only sold in Canada in 88 or 89 its one of those :) Anyway like I said its not mine but can put you in touch with owner. NRC covers as well.
If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!
Ken McAdam
VRRA Member

Postby terryjj1 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:54 am

checked Kijiji Ontario to see whats out there for older sport bike (s) that may be cheap to buy and have converted...I can buy an all-ready converted passable race bike (on this site) for the price, or less, than these people are asking for old sport type bikes that may or may not be certified....me thinks they're orbiting around an different planet...
I suppose I can see what's for sale at the race next weekend..I have volunteered to be a starter marshal... :P
No number...
terryjj1

Postby killerdwarf » Sun May 31, 2015 8:21 am

Paris swap meet is fast approaching. Always good deals, and lots of bikes there
killerdwarf

Postby terryjj1 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:13 am

I like that zx7 in sudbury....wouldn't need the clothing..too big but the bike looks ready to race...any known history on this one?
No number...
terryjj1

Next

Return to Race Bikes