Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

overheating advise please

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

overheating advise please

Postby scooterboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:54 pm

I guess our problem at Shanny was we over heated the motor. It was the last race for that 650 motor but really dont want to do the same to the 750 going into it. I am putting a larger oil cooler on and I know the 750 kits have larger fins but my question to you guys is do any of you run any sort of ducting to direct airflow onto the motor or has anyone had overheating problems and found a good solution.
any input would be greatly apreciated
cheers
Vic
scooterboy

Re: overheating advise please

Postby Percy W » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:10 pm

Move slower.....(please).
Percy W

Postby chairman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:25 pm

WHAT ENGINE TYPE ARE YOU RUNNING
chairman

Postby scooterboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:11 pm

it was an xs650 will be putting in a 750 kitted XS
scooterboy

Postby Ray Roberts #115 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi Vic, My CB500 (big lump of a motor) would run very hot and I found Amsoil Synthetic oil made it run a lot cooler, every little bit helps.
Ray.
Ray Roberts #115

Postby scooterboy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks Ray, I am running Bradd Penn straight 40. Apparantly its the best there is according to Mike my engine builder, but thanks for the input, are you going to grand bend, if so i will bring that starter with me
cheers
ps hows your build coming along?
scooterboy

Postby turtlehub » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:39 am

several things may cause overheating

carb jetting
timing

or perhaps you need a big honking earls oil cooler like those used on the old air cooled superbikes - and they look real cool... what oil cooler r u going to run?
you have to finish to win - no crashing allowed!
turtlehub

Postby Michael Vinten » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:19 pm

My engine runs very hot but it seems to be the nature of the beast. Oil pans do not help as they remove all cooling air flow past the sump. I have ducts in the fairing but no directional ducts to the engine. The oil pump is small and consequently flow is not very large so large coolers make little difference. I have thought about wrapping the pipes to reduce heat in front of the engine. Don't listen to Miles...go faster to increase the cooling air!
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby tintop » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:15 pm

As Mike says, these engines run hot, and the more HP you pull out of them the hotter they will get. Adding an oil cooler will definitely help. Just make sure its either in the direct air stream, or well ducted. Also as mentioned carb jetting (too lean), or timing can cause excessive heat.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby MGill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:41 pm

Well, you could put one cylinder on each side of the crank case....
#39 BMW
Member #1336
www.mmmotowerks.com
MGill
VRRA Member

Postby gary holden » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:24 pm

"These engines run hot." But does anyone know how hot,like by measuring oil temp or cylinder head temp.I'd be interested to see if the aerodynamic penalty of an unfaired bike is offset by the greater airflow around the engine.Except for Mosport,I don't think that improved aerodynamics makes much difference at the tracks we run.
Half-fast Racing 401
gary holden
VRRA Member

Postby tintop » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:34 pm

gary holden wrote:"These engines run hot." But does anyone know how hot,like by measuring oil temp or cylinder head temp.I'd be interested to see if the aerodynamic penalty of an unfaired bike is offset by the greater airflow around the engine.Except for Mosport,I don't think that improved aerodynamics makes much difference at the tracks we run.

I've thought about installing an oil temp gauge, just never got around to it. I did notice that after I put more venting below the screen the engine seemed cooler. However, it was definitely running hotter at the beginning of the last event. I put this down to a tight / fresh engine, as it seemed to improve as the weekend progressed. Does anyone have a thermal infrared gun? If so, maybe we could get the exit oil check guys to scan everyone's motors after a race.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby Ashton Bond » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:00 am

I've got one you guys can use. It's always right in the top of my pit box.
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Postby tintop » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks for the offer Ashton. Should be easy to setup some kind of temp check to let everyone know where their at.
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby Ashton Bond » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Grab it anytime you want, I really only use it for tire temp checks before races, and the occasional diag for misfires. Just remember to switch it to "C" if your into that one of thang... :)
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Next

Return to Sidecars