Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Technically Speaking:

Exhaust update

Bike preparation, class eligibility, technical questions.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Exhaust update

Postby greg mcewen #580 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:45 pm

Here's something the tech committee has been working on. This should keep our friends at and around the tracks we visit on our side. I'm certain that we all agree that this is long overdue.

All machines must be equipped with effective silencers. Exhaust systems must include sound-attenuation material or devices. Open pipes and reverse cone megaphones are not considered as effective silencers. All exhaust systems must exit toward the rear of the motorcycle. Sound testing may take place at VRRA events. Failure to meet track-imposed noise limits may result in disqualification from the day’s event with no refund of entry. At tracks where noise limits are in effect,VRRA and its members shall adhere to the track’s policy.
Thanks to Kennedy motorsports http://www.kennedymotorsports.com
greg mcewen #580
VRRA Executive

Re: Exhaust update

Postby Dewey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:35 am

greg mcewen #580 wrote:Here's something the tech committee has been working on.

Failure to meet track-imposed noise limits may result in disqualification from the day’s event with no refund of entry. At tracks where noise limits are in effect,VRRA and its members shall adhere to the track’s policy.

I think this is all that needed to be said. Sorry but all the other rhetoric smacks of politics that at this juncture I'm a little tired of.

pd
Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby Brian FZR400 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 pm

The word "effective" is subjective unless quantified by a repeatable test procedure.

"Sound-attenuation material or devices" is open to interpretation.

Is it necessary to require exhaust outlets to point to the rear? Where else would they go?

I don't have a problem with disallowing open pipes or megaphones but I think it would be better to implement a defined test procedure and put those requirements in the rules, and how you achieve compliance with that procedure is up to you.

Forewarning; the official procedure that Calabogie uses for sound testing in the paddock is marginally passable by modern liquid cooled 4 cylinder bikes with common aftermarket mufflers. Singles and twins are louder, two-strokes with tiny stinger mufflers are a lot louder, air-cooling is not a positive factor, not having full bodywork is not a positive factor. I've known people with modern bikes to have to put stock exhausts on there, and lots of people with the usual Hindle mufflers have to install an extra gizmo in the muffler to restrict it a bit in order to squeak by. I spun my Hindle muffler 180 degrees to point the outlet upward. Let's perhaps not discuss, ahem, "tachometer inaccuracy" or "throttle position inaccuracy" in order to be able to get on track ...

I know in practice Calabogie used drive-by testing (basically a trackside test station somewhere) but this is not something that someone could know whether they are compliant or not before getting to the track. It seems to be a whole lot easier to survive the drive-by testing than the paddock testing (which we didn't have to do).
Brian FZR400
VRRA Member

Postby turtlehub » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 pm

"adhere's to tracks policy" sums it up clearly.

like the 180 degree spin.
you have to finish to win - no crashing allowed!
turtlehub

Postby fmcd » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:53 pm

turtlehub wrote:"

like the 180 degree spin.

In the rain with just a squirt of laundry soap...
McDermott Bros. Ducati afficionados Shawville, QC
Honda RS125r
JJ Cobas Rotax 250

"You start sliding when your heart turns on the juice" – Billie Holiday, 1957
fmcd
VRRA Member

Postby Brian FZR400 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Hah, there's a good idea!
Brian FZR400
VRRA Member

Postby hgwilliam » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:04 am

My only concern is how can one test this before the first round?

Fortunately for me I passed Calabogie's sound test last year, so I imagine I'd be good. Yet it still raises the question how can one test in advance?
hgwilliam

Postby turtlehub » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:22 am

hgwilliam wrote:My only concern is how can one test this before the first round?

Fortunately for me I passed Calabogie's sound test last year, so I imagine I'd be good. Yet it still raises the question how can one test in advance?

If you think you may not pass,
be prep'd with some sound deadening gizmo when you show up at the track?
you have to finish to win - no crashing allowed!
turtlehub

Postby Dewey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:11 pm

http://www.hyderacing.com/db_dawg.htm

Scroll down page for more RR oriented info.

pd
Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby Michael Vinten » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Here is the current rule in Part A for comparison.

2g
All machines must conform to the noise rules in effect at each track. It is recognized that mufflers that are not consistent with the period may have to be installed to meet the noise limits.
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby Robert Marshall » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:04 pm

These are available on eBay in various sizes. Pricing seems to start at about $8USD.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/222426542782?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

They call them DB killers.
#29 Ducati 900SS
Robert Marshall

Postby tleighbell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:45 pm

Anything for 2 strokes? Just more packing?
tleighbell

Postby andyman64 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 am

those rudges should look real period with a hindle exhaust on them what a complete and utter waste of time ! this is VINTAGE ROAD RACE CLUB. neither shannonville or mosport require sound attenuation devices, while calibogie is a wonderful facility to race at if it requires most of our bikes to be restricted and modified whats the point in going there. part of the joy of vintage racing is the sound of these amazing machines you want to take that away.how bought we concentrate on making sure the bikes are safe to ride and making sure the race schedule runs on time that would be something worth while!
andyman64

Postby Justind97 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:46 am

andyman64 wrote:those rudges should look real period with a hindle exhaust on them what a complete and utter waste of time ! this is VINTAGE ROAD RACE CLUB. neither shannonville or mosport require sound attenuation devices, while calibogie is a wonderful facility to race at if it requires most of our bikes to be restricted and modified whats the point in going there. part of the joy of vintage racing is the sound of these amazing machines you want to take that away.how bought we concentrate on making sure the bikes are safe to ride and making sure the race schedule runs on time that would be something worth while!

The issue being the locals are serious complainers. Mind you, they have lived in their homes for decades longer that Bogie has been around. Unfortunately not everyone loves the sound of high revving engines.

I am more than willing to appease the noise compliancy in order to race at a world class facility.
Justind97

Postby Ashton Bond » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:43 pm

andyman64 wrote:those rudges should look real period with a hindle exhaust on them what a complete and utter waste of time ! this is VINTAGE ROAD RACE CLUB. neither shannonville or mosport require sound attenuation devices, while calibogie is a wonderful facility to race at if it requires most of our bikes to be restricted and modified whats the point in going there. part of the joy of vintage racing is the sound of these amazing machines you want to take that away.how bought we concentrate on making sure the bikes are safe to ride and making sure the race schedule runs on time that would be something worth while!

I guess I'm curious why you believe we aren't concentrating on the bikes being safe and the schedule running on time? You're painting with a pretty broad brush there...
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Next

Return to Technically Speaking: