Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Technically Speaking:

P2 shock absorbers-clarification please

Bike preparation, class eligibility, technical questions.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

P2 shock absorbers-clarification please

Postby Pappy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:45 pm

Hi Mike and the rules committee.

I need some clarification on rule 4j below please.

Here is the existing rule on page 29 of our rulebook for P2:

4j "REAR SHOCKS must be of a style and type from the period. Shocks with air/gas fittings used for initial loading only and not providing adjustability are allowed. Remote or external reservoirs are not permitted."

I have some questions before we spend a not insignificant amount of money on new shocks for Sharon's MT125R with a featherweight rider.

1. Are aluminium shock bodies allowed?

2. Are external rebound dampening adjustments allowed?

Specifically I have been checking out IKON USA (formally Koni) 7614 series competition shock absorbers.
These have both aluminium bodies and adjustable rebound dampening. Mike if you are reading this if you don't mind google IKON USA look under Competition and you will see these shocks.

I get that just because it isn't mentioned does not necessarily mean it is legal. We have been fighting that battle since 1980 and I am not looking to reopen that can of worms.

Thanks for reading and we look forward to your reply(s). If these are not legal and we have to use steel bodied shocks our rider will have to go on a stricter diet...... .

Cheers Paul and Sharon Bowyer
Pappy

Re: P2 shock absorbers-clarification please

Postby Michael Vinten » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:16 pm

The wording of the second sentence is clumsy as it contains two items. It should be broken into two. Air fittings to charge are allowed however no adjustments on damping are allowed.

As to aluminum, I do not know if it was used in Period 2 but other than weight I see no technical advantage. So aluminum is acceptable.
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Re: P2 shock absorbers-clarification please

Postby Pappy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:37 pm

Thanks Mike,
I know which direction to go in now.
Cheers Paul
Pappy

Return to Technically Speaking: