Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Technically Speaking:

Can you mix Bias and Radial Tyres ?

Bike preparation, class eligibility, technical questions.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Can you mix Bias and Radial Tyres ?

Postby Brian Stevenson » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:52 am

The reason I ask is I'm building a P3H bike that will be run at both SOAR and VRRA.

The bike will be around 170kg and I've been talking to the various manufacturers about running a 17x160 tyre on the rear and all have said its not a good idea as the load index on the 160 tyre is two small. In fact Pirelli started off their response with "Sei Pazzo" :lol:

Their recommendation is to run a 17x160 Street Tyre that typically have load indexes in the 60W + range or run something like Metzler's 18" RR race tyres that come in a 160 rear but are Bias ply and can take the weight. Bikes did come with a 17" front and 18" rear back in the day.

I guess my question is for the VRRA events can I run a 18" Bias Ply tyre rear and a 17" radial front, and then just swap the rear for a 180 radial for SOAR? The overall diameter between them is within a millimetre.

According to the internet you shouldn't mix bias and radial tyres but if you must do it the bias should go on the front. I don't know. Has anyone ever done the opposite? Will it pass tech? There is nothing that prohibits it in the rule book.

I should also mention that its for endurance so the tyre will have to last at least 2 hours.
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Re: Can you mix Bias and Radial Tyres ?

Postby bitzz » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:17 pm

Everyone raced with mis-matched radials and bias ply tires when motorcycle radials were new and 16" front tires were a thing.
You'll get used to the over steer.
VRRA Member
bitzz
VRRA Member

Postby Brian Stevenson » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:00 pm

Thanks Jim. This may be another good option then
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Postby desmobill » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:50 pm

The 1986 Honda VF1000R Bol d'Or came from the factory with a bias ply and a radial installed.
Bill Quail #711
The only reason to sell a Ducati is to pay for a new one!
desmobill

Return to Technically Speaking: