Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Technically Speaking:

Carburetor Cleaning: Ultrasonic vs. Vapour Blasting

Bike preparation, class eligibility, technical questions.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Carburetor Cleaning: Ultrasonic vs. Vapour Blasting

Postby pacomotorstuff » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:26 pm

I've been using an ultrasonic cleaner with dilute Aerospace grade Simple Green to clean my carbs before rebuilding and am generally pleased with the results. However, I've seen online, carbs cleaned with vapour blasting equipment and wondered if any of you have had your carbs done, if you liked the results, etc. etc. etc. I've been told to wash the carb thoroughly with clean water afterward and blast all of the passages with compressed air (I do this already, so no bigs).
Comments?
Thanks, Patrick
pacomotorstuff
VRRA Member

Re: Carburetor Cleaning: Ultrasonic vs. Vapour Blasting

Postby gary holden » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:29 pm

Princess Auto catalogue doesn't show a photo, but I think this is the same as what I bought at an auto parts and equipment store years ago. The PA online catalogue is a PITA but this is the item, I believe: SKU8140709 - "18oz Hopper Gravity Feed Abrasive Spot Blaster". Using dry baking soda as the blasting medium it does a good job of cleaning, although not to concourse level, without affecting aluminum parts and if you blast outdoors no cleanup is required. Feed Grade Cow Brand sodium bicarbonate is available in 25kg bags at agricultural feed supply stores. Many years ago the 25kg bag was about $25.Hope this helps.
Half-fast Racing 401
gary holden
VRRA Member

Re: Carburetor Cleaning: Ultrasonic vs. Vapour Blasting

Postby mccoy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:16 pm

I do both and I prefer Vapour Blasting. The carbs clean up much better. They have to be rinsed very good and all passages need to be cleaned out, but that has to be done anyway.
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=182193471252549&set=a.124892206982676
Mark
97 YZF750R
78 GS750E Awaiting re-assembly
80 GS1100E R.I.P.
mccoy

Return to Technically Speaking: