Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Endurance Racing

Endurance Performance Index

Discussion regarding all things endurance racing!

Endurance Performance Index

Postby Davelaporte221 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:58 am

http://www.vrra.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -FORUM.pdf

The photo link shows the index at each track. This is based on lap records at each track.
I ran all the results from last year through the new system and it did not impact the top 3 final results in any class of the championship.
Find your class, multiply your index by the laps actually completed. That is you final score towards the championship.

This is what we are going to try in 2024.

It requires a lot less manual calculation as it will automatically compensate for shortened races or slower paces (due to rain).
Dave “THE DOOR” #221
88 Hawk NT650
99 GSXR SRAD 600
96 CBR600 F3
97 ZX7R
Davelaporte221

Re: Endurance Performance Index

Postby Brian Stevenson » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:27 pm

Dave.

This makes no sense. Are you saying that a P3L bike is doing effectively the same time as a P4-F3 bike, the only difference is 0.01%. Can you post the data that is behind this?
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Postby livetoride21 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:03 am

Brian Stevenson wrote:Dave.

This makes no sense. Are you saying that a P3L bike is doing effectively the same time as a P4-F3 bike, the only difference is 0.01%. Can you post the data that is behind this?

I second that, this makes anyone planning to race a p3 light bike immediately rethink it.
Kevin Renshaw #916
livetoride21

Postby kirbster » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:42 am

So a p3 middle is only 1 sec per lap slower than a p5 middle at mosport with the same rider?

Sorry this makes zero sense.

You might as well just eliminate handicaps and run what you brung.

The original plan was a slight tilt in favour to older machinery to get people out on track.

Your current plan means P5 or you will not be competitive.

If you used endurance data to do this then you realize You are handicapping teams and not machines?

It’s a few days early for April 1st but I’m hoping this is some kind of joke.
Kirby Crosby VRRA #252
kirbster

Postby livetoride21 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:21 am

kirbster wrote:So a p3 middle is only 1 sec per lap slower than a p5 middle at mosport with the same rider?

Sorry this makes zero sense.

You might as well just eliminate handicaps and run what you brung.

The original plan was a slight tilt in favour to older machinery to get people out on track.

Your current plan means P5 or you will not be competitive.

If you used endurance data to do this then you realize You are handicapping teams and not machines?

It’s a few days early for April 1st but I’m hoping this is some kind of joke.

Not to mention, if someone was on the same lap each round, you could end up with a 2, 3 or 4 way tie.
Kevin Renshaw #916
livetoride21

Postby Andy#60 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:24 am

Here come the stats again...
Andy
P3 Sidecar Rig #60
Endurance team #848 Gobshite racing
Andy#60

Postby Michael Vinten » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:58 pm

The original proposal was to remove handicaps for P3, P4 and P5. I am against removing handicaps. The same team and tactics should always be faster on a later period bike. The exec meeting when we discussed the endurance proposal, among other items, was over 2 hours long. After much discussion a 1% bonus was agreed for P3 classes. The 1% was my error as I read the current handicap for SMP for P3L (1.077) and rounded the .077 to 1.01 when in fact it is 1.10.

Not included in the attachment to this post is the elimination of the bonus mileage for finishing order, to be replaced with the following;

Tie breaking mileage adjustments will be applied to finishers who complete the same number of laps based on order of finish as follows:

Tie Breaking Mileage Adjustments (all bikes completed same number of laps)

Highest Position No mileage adjustment
2nd bike 0.5 lap deduction
3rd bike 0.6 lap deduction
4th bike 0.7 lap deduction
5th bike 0.8 lap deduction
6th bike 0.9 lap deduction
7th onward 0.99 lap deduction
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby livetoride21 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:37 pm

Michael Vinten wrote:The original proposal was to remove handicaps for P3, P4 and P5. I am against removing handicaps. The same team and tactics should always be faster on a later period bike. The exec meeting when we discussed the endurance proposal, among other items, was over 2 hours long. After much discussion a 1% bonus was agreed for P3 classes. The 1% was my error as I read the current handicap for SMP for P3L (1.077) and rounded the .077 to 1.01 when in fact it is 1.10.

Not included in the attachment to this post is the elimination of the bonus mileage for finishing order, to be replaced with the following;

Tie breaking mileage adjustments will be applied to finishers who complete the same number of laps based on order of finish as follows:

Tie Breaking Mileage Adjustments (all bikes completed same number of laps)

Highest Position No mileage adjustment
2nd bike 0.5 lap deduction
3rd bike 0.6 lap deduction
4th bike 0.7 lap deduction
5th bike 0.8 lap deduction
6th bike 0.9 lap deduction
7th onward 0.99 lap deduction

What about p5 vs p4 Mike?
I would say an equal rider would most definitely be faster on a p5 bike of the same class than a p4 bike.
It also makes absolutely no sense that a p2 mwp bike would get a smaller handicap than a p3 light bike at 10%.

I don't understand why were messing with something that has years of data and worked quite well.
Kevin Renshaw #916
livetoride21

Postby kirbster » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:43 pm

What group of members put forth the idea for a complete revamp ?
And why?
Was the old system that bad it just needed to be scrapped and started over?
And if P5 doesn’t have an advantage over P4 - why did we introduce them?

I’m sorry but this is a giant pile of crap and it smells very bad.

There is now zero motivation for older bikes to run endurance. Which was the entire reason we came up with it.
Kirby Crosby VRRA #252
kirbster

Postby Brian Stevenson » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:24 pm

My $0.02 is this, and bare in mind that I actually couldn’t ride a rocking horse and I’m a sample size of one, but anyway.

So if you exclude anomalies like Darrell Cooney (who would probably win on a Honda Cub) A more modern bike will give the average VRRA rider a distinct advantage, hence my initial comment

From my own experience at Shannonville I can easily do 8 seconds a lap better on the Pro track on a FAST school bike than I can on my P3 or P4 bike. And we are talking about a 400 Ninja here. So, if you extrapolate that out that’s around 4 or 5 more laps in 2 hours. And I think that’s a fair comparison as I’m comparing it with my GPZ550.

My other concern is that if I have to race, as an example, my P3 heavy bike against a 750 SRAD or even a R6 or RC51 from the modern invitational class, It’s like comparing apples to oranges. It has no brakes (comparatively speaking), damping rod forks, skinny wheels, axial master cylinders, etc., the list goes on. Can I put all the cool modern stuff on a P3 bike to try and make it a bit closer? Probably not without infringing on a bunch of rules. But my contention is if I'm being scored back to back against a P5 or invitational bike, why cant I run those parts? Don't worry, I'm not advocating for this but it seems fair.

At this stage I don’t think I’m interested in riding a P3 in endurance, although I was thinking about a 500/4 P2 Honda, but I am actively looking for an R6 that I have to prep in a couple of months (I do have an ad on the forum). My real concern with that approach is that it further waters down the vintage DNA running in Endurance.

It would have been nice to have had this information at the AGM. Would it be an option to leave things as they are this year, work out the handicap change(s) required and present it at the AGM in November?

If you have concerns with the calculation, there is a PHP script in the web site that ingests the data from MyLaps and does the calculation based on the current formulas. These formulas are in spreadsheet form as well and have been well tested. Clearly this just couldn’t be pushed to the web site as Mylaps has no clue about penalties or things like that and would need to be reviewed.

Anyway, my $0.02 (FWIW)
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Postby Brian Stevenson » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:43 pm

Michael Vinten wrote:After much discussion a 1% bonus was agreed for P3 classes. The 1% was my error as I read the current handicap for SMP for P3L (1.077) and rounded the .077 to 1.01 when in fact it is 1.10.

Sorry Michael. Just to confirm as this confused the hell out of me when I was talking to Doug Andrich about it earlier.

Is the intent that a P3 Light rider that does 100 laps will be awarded 1% more laps so will end up with 101, while a P2M rider that does 100 laps will be awarded 9.3% so end up with 109.3 laps? So in other words P3L is rounded down to 1.01, and not rounded up to 1.10? The 1.10 doesn't make a lot of sense.
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Postby stevebem » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:16 pm

I've had it. Enough of the topdown leadership and lack of communication to the membership from our current president. What else are we not being told?

Was there a majority of endurance racers (let alone VRRA members in general) asking for a revamp of the endurance handicapping system? Answer: no.

I am against this change.
Steve Bem
Pre65/P1 CB72
P2 MWT CB400f
stevebem

Postby livetoride21 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 pm

stevebem wrote:I've had it. Enough of the topdown leadership and lack of communication to the membership from our current president. What else are we not being told?

Was there a majority of endurance racers (let alone VRRA members in general) asking for a revamp of the endurance handicapping system? Answer: no.

I am against this change.

I second that Steve.

The rule book specifically states the following with regards to endurance:

"Class structures and handicaps are reviewed annually, prior to the racing season, by the
Endurance Coordinator and the Executive based on team input and results."

Let us emphasize "BASED ON TEAM INPUT"

I would like to know what specific endurance teams were consulted? How many, and whom.
I was not consulted, it seems many others were not either based on the reaction on facebook.

This is all very concerning and VERY VERY frustrating.
Kevin Renshaw #916
livetoride21

Postby desmobill » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:48 pm

So I thought I did it the right way. I read the rules and watched the races and decided an '82 Pantah 600 was the next bike for me in Endurance. I bought the bike and started building it. It's 99% done and is on target for the Shannonville opener. Now it seems the rules are being changed, with no vote and vague reasons for this change. Is this the way forward for this club? Changing things at the whim of a few members? I am out 2 classes with this new locked in schedule because of conflicts and now the bike I built becomes a has been before it turns a wheel. I could enter the bike and go ride around, but that's called a track day, not racing. The scoring has worked for years with no problems and I think Kirby did an awesome job calculating the handicaps.
This year we have new classes with no rules, locked in schedule that costs us bump classes and\or races if you have multiple bikes, invited bikes that have no classes in our club and now a change in endurance rules that was not asked for by anyone I know who races endurance (well maybe one guy). None of which was voted on. A new dirt bike with all the money I'll save this year is looking pretty good.
Bill Quail #711
The only reason to sell a Ducati is to pay for a new one!
desmobill

Postby desmobill » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:48 pm

So I thought I did it the right way. I read the rules and watched the races and decided an '82 Pantah 600 was the next bike for me in Endurance. I bought the bike and started building it. It's 99% done and is on target for the Shannonville opener. Now it seems the rules are being changed, with no vote and vague reasons for this change. Is this the way forward for this club? Changing things at the whim of a few members? I am out 2 classes with this new locked in schedule because of conflicts and now the bike I built becomes a has been before it turns a wheel. I could enter the bike and go ride around, but that's called a track day, not racing. The scoring has worked for years with no problems and I think Kirby did an awesome job calculating the handicaps.
This year we have new classes with no rules, locked in schedule that costs us bump classes and\or races if you have multiple bikes, invited bikes that have no classes in our club and now a change in endurance rules that was not asked for by anyone I know who races endurance (well maybe one guy). None of which was voted on. A new dirt bike with all the money I'll save this year is looking pretty good.
Bill Quail #711
The only reason to sell a Ducati is to pay for a new one!
desmobill

Next

Return to Endurance Racing