Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Projects

The $100.00 endurance bike project!

NEW! This section is where we can show off our new bike projects!

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Re: The $100.00 endurance bike project!

Postby Steve Shaw » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:55 pm

... my 2 Cents ( Canadian ) .... put a Ratchet Strap around it and tighten ...
Steve
TZ350
TZ373
FZR600
Steve Shaw
VRRA Member

Postby Peter Balfour » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:54 pm

The project is finally on its wheels and starting to look like a bike! We discovered the rear tire had a good size hole in it which explains our difficulty trying to seat the bead. So, I mounted another tire I had which will work until we find a suitable replacement

We also mounted the FZ600 exhaust which fits fairly well after a little trimming off unnecessary centre stand mounts. I would like to replace the can with a lighter aftermarket unit but this will work for now.

We need to sort the brake situation out. We have a line for an entire front end with serviceable brakes for $80 which hopefully will speed up the process. The main focus will to rebuild the carbs and sort out the wiring to see if we can get the beast running...stay tuned!

'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Dave M » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:47 am

Yes, I've heard that tires without holes are the way to go.

Boy, I bet all the people who gave you bead seating advice feel dumb now! Ppphhhfffft -Crisco - ratchet straps...
The trouble with trouble is that it starts out as fun.
Dave M
VRRA Member

Postby Peter Balfour » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Looks like the old TZ seat will work perfectly, just need to weld up some support brackets and we'll be good.

'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby omnivore » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:29 pm

I love this whole idea.
I see a new chain in the last shot- time to update capital outlay list.
omnivore

Postby Peter Balfour » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:06 am

Chain was 3 links too short. :D I have a line on another one for a barter deal. I need to update the build cost list, we have spent a bunch more $$ since the last instalment. She is almost ready to start, just waiting for a few items. Big jobs left are to build some rear sets, finish wiring, build the dash, mount the battery, build a seat mounting frame, mount body work, clean up the body work and paint.

Time is ticking by, tons to do and only a month or so before the vintage track day weekend where we hope to run it. We might make it... :lol:
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Peter Balfour » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:52 pm

There have been quite a few jobs done on the old FJ since the last update. The carbs have been rebuilt and installed. The front brakes have been fixed up, installed and bled. Battery tray was fabricated and installed in the tail section. Replaced the rusted muffler with a D&D kijjii find, still have some fabricating left on the header. The bike has been started and runs surpringly well. A new chain has been installed. We still have lots to do but hopefully will have it ready for the vintage track day in May.

'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby mccoy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:24 am

It's coming along nicely, Looks good.
Mark
97 YZF750R
78 GS750E Awaiting re-assembly
80 GS1100E R.I.P.
mccoy

Postby Peter Balfour » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:58 am

Thanks Mark, it's getting there. I forgot how much work it is to build a race bike, good thing I enjoy the process. :D
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Peter Balfour » Tue May 17, 2016 2:49 pm

Well, we finally got the FJ on the track and things went pretty well for a new build. We have a few things to sort out but most are pretty minor. Its currently just in primer and we plan to paint it and get the numbers installed. Still need to install the belly pan and finish all the safety wire work. We hope to be ready for the TT! So far the total cost to build is about $1700.00. The moral of the story, buy a bike already built! If you had to add the hours of work it takes to build a race bike it would make way more sense to buy one prebuilt. Although, if you like wrenching its a fun pastime and a great way to learn a bike inside out.

'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Dave M » Tue May 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Peter and Kevin - thanks for sharing this and documenting.

"it would make way more sense to buy one prebuilt."

You know, one of the things that I love about racing and everything that goes with it ,is that it DOESN'T make sense. That's why it's fun! I have to be sensible and responsible all day at work and it's not much fun at all.
The trouble with trouble is that it starts out as fun.
Dave M
VRRA Member

Postby Dave Jones » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:18 am

Peter
I got one of these running by replacing the ignition box for a potential customer. As he left the bike with me and disappeared, I sold the bike for scrap and kept the box, so if you need one it cost me $150 at TO cycle salvage years ago, and was not returnable.
Netdavejones@aim.com
Dave Jones

Postby Peter Balfour » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:20 am

First Season

Well we made it through our first season with the "Junkyard Dog" and had a blast in the endurance series, we finished in a respectable 7th place. Like all new builds we did have our share of problems.

The Shannonville round started off great in practice with lots of power. However, it developed a nasty oil leak from the valve cover area. We suspected the cover gasket and tried to seal it with Yamabond but had no luck, the thing was still leaking. We then replaced the oil cooler lines as they appeared to be wet. We were able to start the race and got a few laps in but when I noticed my leathers and boots were covered in oil we retired the bike. When we got it home and tore things apart the cause of the oil leak was discovered. The valve cover had a chip in it right in the seal area. The rubber gasket was pretty stiff and so was every rubber grommet. Luckily we had another valve cover and replaced the gasket and all the grommets.

The Grand Bend round went pretty well however a few new issues started to develop. The oil leak was now solved and the bike was working well. The handling is not great as the front end feels vague and too soft, something we need to sort out.
During the race we were doing quite well but by the last rider change we started to notice a lack of power and figured it might be jetting since it was pretty hot. However, when talking to the starting grid team while volunteering they said some of the corner workers wanted to black flag us due to smoke from our exhaust. I guess our old engine is starting to show its age.

With little time before Mosport to tear the motor down we decided that the main problem might just be jetting and the smoke was probably just valve seals which would not be terminal. The bike should make it through the last round we could do this season. The bike starts and runs amazingly well so we should be good.

During practice at CTMP the bike was noticeably down on power and it was a struggle to get anywhere near redline down the back straight. Plus, we had a wicked front wheel hop going through #2 for some reason. We played with the front end but it's pretty evident we need to do some serious upgrades to the forks. We will have to run what we brung and cross our fingers it makes it through the endurance race.
The race went well but we were way down on power and the entertaining wheel shake through #2 was still there. When we were struggling to pass P1 bikes down the back straight it was pretty evident our motor is really tired. Surprisingly, we finished the race with no other issues. Our first season was over.

So, now it's the rebuild season and the old girl needs a bunch of work before next year. I thought we would continue this blog and take you through what we find wrong and how we fix it. Stay tuned!

'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Brian FZR400 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:37 pm

You should dyno it first to find out how little you were making do with :shock:
Brian FZR400
VRRA Member

Postby Peter Balfour » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Yes, that would be interesting to know for sure. But my ass-dyne tells me it was frigg'n slow. : :lol:
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

PreviousNext

Return to Projects