Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Trading Post - Bikes for sale! Street bikes

RD400G - Custom / For Sale or Trade

Moderator: Michael Vinten

RD400G - Custom / For Sale or Trade

Postby moriarty » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm looking to either trade or sell my custom RD400G (Same as Daytona except for paint)

I built this a couple years ago and have a ton of fun on it, but I think it's time to move onto something new.

It's a real head turner and an original for sure. Has lots and lots of speed.

Here's the details.

Non Engine Details:
- Modified Frame - Widened and braced. Comes with the ownership too.
- Key Ignition moved.
- Sidestand mount moved forward to better clear the exhausts. Stand spring moved to front.
- Frame has been powdercoated.
- Tapered steering bearings and new swingarm bearings.
- Swingarm is an original Calfab from a GS1100 drag bike. I modified it to be 2" longer than stock.
Polished it up this summer and had new decals made.
- Forks are 38mm Marzocchi with the matching triple trees. All polished up this summer too.
- Rear shocks are Vintage Koni's.
- Brakes calipers and master cylinders are Brembo Gold Line. Braided stainless lines.
- Brake Rotors are Brembo cast irons.
- Tank is still original paint. Small dent on the left side that I was waiting to take out. It's small though.
inside the tank is perfect.
- Petcock is a Pingle fast flow.
- Seat has a new foam and custom leather cover.
- Almost every bolt has either been chromed or polished.
- Wheels are Campagnolo Technomagnesio. These are cast Magnesium. I had them tested 4 years ago
by a friend who does non-destructive testing. Then had them repainted in the original gold colour. New
bearings were installed too.
- The rear sprocket is a custom made steel 520 pitch.
- Chain is O-ring.
- Handlebars are Renthal Aluminum with a comfortable rise.
- Speedometer is from a TZ750.... I think? It's floating mounted on a custom mount and powered off the
stock motor tach. Kind of a neat tach. Never seen one like this before.
- Tomasselli 1/4 turn throttle.
- Switch gear on the left is a generic one I found.
- Engine kill is a Pingel drag race type.
- Rear set brackets were RZ350 Tarozzi with custom pedals and linkages.

Ok... Now the motor.

- Fully rebuilt less than 4 years ago. Low miles and NEVER seized or mistreated.
- Crank was rebuilt with original Yamaha bearings. Rebuilt by CVtech in Quebec.
- Rods are Pro-X. Lower big end bearings replaced with TZ silvered bearings.
- Every seal was replaced with original Yamaha seals.
- All gears work perfectly, and all the bearings in the transmission were replaced with original Yamaha.
- Clutch was upgraded to FZR plates. They are bigger and do not need the rubber rings.
- Cylinders are earlier model rd400 style, not the later Daytona style. They have been amazingly ported.
Transfers all opened. Top of cylinders have been decked 2mm to expose the transfers earlier. Custom
base gasket made for bottom. (This porting is amazing.... streetable, but competitive in racing too)
The porting was designed to maximize the exhaust design.
- There are no head gaskets.... The cylinders have been o-ringed. I have extra rings to with the bike.
- Pistons are original Yamaha. +0.5 over stock bore.
- The heads are original DG radial finned heads. These have the later "modern" chamber design that
looked closer to the RZ style domes. The heads have been dowelled to match the cylinders perfectly.
compression has been increased a little to improve performance, but still can run regular gas.
- Ignition is the very desirable stock electronic type. Works perfectly.
- Uses a very small 12v battery. Can easily be run without a battery if an eliminator is installed.
- Carbs are 30mm Mikuni VM's. Custom adapters on the open ends to accept a Y-boot and a K&N filter.
- Running pre-mix right now. The carbs have a provision for injector if you like. No oil tank though.
- Reed cages are larger from an RZ350 and the pedals are the fiber type.
- All the covers have been polished very shiny!
- The exhausts are Motocarrera Millennium GP's. I did change the silencers to the TYGA type. Way better
than the original FMF silencers.

There are lots of other details I know I missed.

Ok.... So.... I'm looking for decent Harley project. Prefer a shovel head, but early sportster would be considered too. If you have something interesting let me know. Not interested in EVO's or DYNA's. I'm still a vintage guy.

Just looking to experiment with the "Dark Side" for now.

If you or someone you know is interested in buying, let me know. We can talk price.

Here's a couple pics of the bike.

I can send more pictures and answer any questions if you pm me your email.
moriarty

Re: RD400G - Custom / For Sale or Trade

Postby gord » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:53 am

Seen and heard this bike and it is awesome :D :D
life is a VIcious cycle
gord

Return to Street bikes