Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Trading Post - Bikes for sale! Street bikes

FS: Just Completed – Yoshimura Inspired cb550 Café Racer

Moderator: Michael Vinten

FS: Just Completed – Yoshimura Inspired cb550 Café Racer

Postby locO leoN » Wed May 04, 2011 1:24 pm

FS: Just Completed – Yoshimura inspired silver cb550F Café Racer Replica

THE PLAN – to build a period Café/Superbike from the CB550 Honda. In 1970’s America the café racer style morphed into the American Superbike. Basically this new design was personified in Cycle Magazine’s Gentleman’s Express build model. Take an existing UJM and turn it into a racer for the street. The concept is to keep the same identifiable style as the original but add lower handle bars, better suspension and brakes and of course a modified engine with a four into one exhaust system. The idea was that the bike must be relatively comfortable to ride and reliable, thus a striped down and more aggressive version of the standard street bike.

THE BUILD – We wanted to use as many of the existing up rated parts as possible, just like builders would have done in the 70’s. The bike would be a “sleeper” built along the same lines as an American Superbike/Café Racer. The machine will resemble a CB550 but what’s under the skin is heavily modified, hot rod style! Obviously the CB750 model could supply many stock looking but upgraded components for the build.

CHASSIS
CB750 forks – same diameter as 550 but heavier springing, retained CB550 triple trees to have correct stem height and stock rake and trail numbers. A tapered roller bearing kit will replace the balls for enhanced feel and control. Tarozozzi fork brace will offer increased stiffness and control during braking and cornering.
CB750 front wheel and rotor – same width and diameter rim as 550 but a 1” larger brake rotor. The rotor will be drilled to lighten it and improve wet weather braking. I will use EBC sintered metallic disc brake pads for stronger fade free performance. Fitting a one piece braided steel line for better feel and pressure as well as the larger CB750 brake caliper, piston and master cylinder

CB750 rear wheel assembly – the 750 rear rim is one size up (WM3) from the 550. The hub is also a touch wider and has bigger brake shoes for improved stopping. power. I’ll run a 130 section tire on the back for additional cornering and acceleration potential. Rear sprocket is a custom aftermarket unit at 38 T to increase acceleration a touch yet not affect high speed running by under gearing for highway.

SHOCKS – Boge/Mulholland – 13 ½” with 75lb spring, longer than stock and stiffer to transfer more weight onto front wheel and quicken steering. This was a period after market shock absorber change for much improved dampening.
TIRES –Bridgestone Spitfire, Superbike style pattern, 100/90 front and 130/90 rear.
Last edited by locO leoN on Thu May 05, 2011 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
locO leoN

Re: FS: Just Completed – Yoshimura inspired cb550 Café Racer

Postby locO leoN » Wed May 04, 2011 1:24 pm

ENGINE – Rebuilt as needed, modified for increased horsepower and torque.
Intakes – cleaned up and matched to head, rejetted and rebuilt 550 carbs with all new o-rings and jets

Head – Decked for flatness with slight compression increase
Rocker Arms / Shafts – CB650 matched to the cam, spring mounted for positive cam engagement, drilled for additional oil circulation.
Cylinders– bored to 61mm, Powroll 591cc kit pistons, rings, pins and Teflon clips fitted with Cometic composite head gasket.
Cam – CB650 for increased lift and duration over stock. 650 cam drive and cable
Air filters – UNI foam pods
Exhaust – MAC 4 into 1, period correct, custom built mid pipe and muffler, designed for 591cc engine

THE LOOK
Stock 550 tank with period Dunstall fiberglass seat. Paint is silver metallic with red accent on tank and Yoshimura characters airbrushed in black onto red accent. Will use CB750 instruments as they have a 7-1 ratio tach required for 650 cam. Tomesselli Clipons with GP grips , 550K controls and cables. Custom Lucas taillight assembly, brushed aluminum headlight ears and smoked signals, café bar end mirror. Black painted engine, wheels and frame. Polished top triple clamp, fork stanchions, instruments, controls, master cyl, brake hanger, brake caliper, engine side cases, tappet covers and cam covers. Alloy bolt kit, polished and drilled rear brake backing plate . Modified countershaft cover, Tardozzi fork brace. Center stand removed.
Fast, Loud, Menacing
Image Image

All ready to go, certified with papers - $7200

BEFORE:

AFTER:

You can call me at: 416 888 3030 or Kemp at 416 557 5051 for details...
locO leoN

Re: FS: Just Completed – Yoshimura Inspired cb550 Café Racer

Postby alexander8585 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 am

Nice looking bike and build. If I were to try and do something similar it would likely cost close to what you're asking. But the previous commenter has a point (even if I don't agree with his termonology)
The bike just isnt worth what your asking. Sorry but it just isn't. You don't do a build like that to sell and make money or even just to break even. You do it for the love of the bike.
That's like me going and asking 7 grand for my race bike. Even though I likely have close to 15 into it no one will pay even half of what it's cost me. And that's fine because it's mine.
Good luck with your sale man but you really need a reality check on your pricing.
Alexander D
alexander8585
VRRA Member

Postby locO leoN » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:10 pm

alexander8585 wrote:Nice looking bike and build. If I were to try and do something similar it would likely cost close to what you're asking. But the previous commenter has a point (even if I don't agree with his termonology)
The bike just isnt worth what your asking. Sorry but it just isn't. You don't do a build like that to sell and make money or even just to break even. You do it for the love of the bike.
That's like me going and asking 7 grand for my race bike. Even though I likely have close to 15 into it no one will pay even half of what it's cost me. And that's fine because it's mine.
Good luck with your sale man but you really need a reality check on your pricing.

BIKE SOLD for asking price...
locO leoN

Postby Bob Smith » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:11 pm

There's one born every 4 months! Congrats Loco.

Bob
Bob
When in doubt, give it gas. It may not help the situation, but it will end the suspense!
Bob Smith
VRRA Member

Postby jrt750 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:36 pm

Will you take my CT90 on consignment ?
jrt750
VRRA Member

Return to Street bikes