Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Trading Post - Bikes for sale! Race Bikes

RD350 Road Racer

Moderator: Michael Vinten

RD350 Road Racer

Postby Steve Bem » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Built by Framecrafters (Karsten & Randy Illg.) First raced by Karsten in AHRMA (not sure if he used this one at Mosport with VRRA ever.)

I purchased it in May, 2009 and ran at Road America. Took it to Barber in October, 2009. Friday practice, going into the "Bama Slama", blew a piston, it seized, and I got thrown off (and run over by a Thruxton for good measure!) In retrospect, because I knew it was nearing a top-end rebuild, and because RA is known to be hard on motors, I "shoulda" not tried to squeeze the last weekend of the season out of those pistons and rings...

Paid Karsten & Randy to repair it over that winter: Holed cylinder farmed out to Boretech for welding, Framecrafters rebuilt crank, new rods, seals, bearings, and Wiseco kit. They also installed a new fairing mount, clip-ons, throttle and clutch lever, plus fixed the pegs and a dent in one (Pro-Flow) exhaust chamber.

Those guys put one heat cycle on the rebuilt engine and delivered it back to me in August, 2010 (on their way to Mosport.) Now, after procrastinating about returning to racing, and deciding not to, the bike is for sale.

It'll need another heat cycle, and then the head re-torqued. The original fairing was destroyed; have mounted a spare, but it will be need to be paint matched (and the windscreen trimmed to suit the buyer.)

The Brembo master cylinder cover was ground down in the crash, but it does contain the fluid. I'd order a new one if I was going to tech it without a lecture though. ;)

While procrastinating, I made one error--I did not drain the fiberglass tank. The fuel lines below the petcock and the float bowls are fine because I did drain them. However the tank, upper lines, and petcock will need a good flush, and the inner tank re-sealed.

The tires were new in May, 2009, used for the RA round, and 1/4 of a practice at Barber(!)

Some gearing, notes, rear stand, and a few odds and ends (but not a full spares kit.)

$1500 firm.

http://www.framecrafters.net/show-project.php?id=31
Steve Bem

Re: RD350 Road Racer

Postby Raimo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Sent you pm.
Raimo
The old #250
Raimo
VRRA Member

Re: RD350 Road Racer

Postby Wayne Raynard #767 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:17 am