Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Trading Post - Bikes for sale! Race Bikes

Norm Murphy's #87 GS1000s Superbike Need Sold!

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Norm Murphy's #87 GS1000s Superbike Need Sold!

Postby scotgary » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:51 pm

I have his 1983 superbike, originally built by Harald Surian. It was ridden in the Eastern Canada Castrol, and National Championship series by Norn Murphy. Although it looked identical to the bike Art Robbins rode, we determined that it was indeed Norm's. It is currently in GS1000s colours and ROAD LEGAL ( currently plated and insured).

The original motor is gone, but a 145hp GS1150 motor is there instead (no lack of power!). Everything else: brakes, suspension, frame mods are as raced. I would like to know what it's worth, and the best place to advertise and sell it for the best dollar. Or if there is anyone here that might be interested. Any help would be appreciated.

I can email with more info and pictures of whatever you want to see.
I have found out through this site that the bike I have is the #87 bike that shows at around the 5:00 minute mark from 1983 at Shannonville SuperBike Race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ojKCbb ... r_embedded
Last edited by scotgary on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
scotgary

Re: Norm Murphy's #87 GS1000s Superbike

Postby jim kots » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Without the original motor it's not worth selling, you might as well bring it to the track and race it!!

Try http://www.thegsresources.com/index.htm members there would have the best input as to the value. Used race bikes have a value beyond the sum of parts but usually need to be original with a documented history. A noted rider and championships adds to the character of the bike.

A Freddy Spencer original CB750 wouldn't be touchable, over 6 figures, an AMA clone bike with all Honda Racing parts didn't reach minimium bid around $20k.

So safely less than $20K but more than the $5k it would cost to collect parts, assuming the motor is fresh.

Joey Dunlop's and Barry Sheen's former bikes were for sale this is the other end of the scale:
http://www.great-cars.co.uk/auction-news/38-hah-to-auction-joey-dunlop-and-barry-sheene-ex-works-racing-motorcycles.html

Is this the bike you have? Shows at around the 5:00 minute mark from 1983 at Shannonville SuperBike Race.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ojKCbbPCE&feature=player_embedded
jim kots
VRRA Member

Postby scotgary » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:15 pm

I am sure that the bike in the video is the bike I have!

Does that make a difference?

I'm certainly not trying to get $20 grand!!!

Not even close!

More like $5000 - 6000. I will consider any offer.
Last edited by scotgary on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotgary

Postby jim kots » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:19 pm

I don't really know Suzuki's, to get 145HP out of a Honda you need most of an 1100cc eng and to try and keep it reliable your first stop will be at the bank.

The only reasonable way to get this type of bike is through a re-sale, building what you have will likely be around $8k.

There is a similar period kawasaki posted on this site for 5k, I would pay more to get yours if the frame is true everything else works as it should.

Don't know if this helps but I wouldn't give away what you have. Do you have any pics of the bike?

I can post if you need help jimkotsilidis@sympatico.ca

Good Luck Jim
jim kots
VRRA Member

Postby scotgary » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 pm

The motor came out of an open class GS1150. Ported head, degreed cams, Bassani Superbike pipe, Mikuni BST36SS carbs and velocity stacks.

I will take pictures of the frame mods, suspension, and brakes for you to look at.

Thanks.
scotgary

Postby scotgary » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Here are some pics and info. The pictures have been emailed to you.

Wheels are original Dymag.
Rotors are floating iron on aluminum carriers.
Calipers are Brembo.
Mastercylinder is Brembo.
Swingarm is braced aluminum.
Front fork lengthened 1".
Frame gusseted around motor mounts, and reconfigured at rear for Fox Factory Shox.

I have not cleaned the bike for it's winter nap, sorry for dust in pictures.
Let me know what else might help.

Thank you, I was having trouble posting pics.
scotgary

Re: Norm Murphy's #87 GS1000s Superbike Need Sold!

Postby jim kots » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Apoligies for the delay in posting late night at the salt mine.

Gary, why is this not in your diningroom it looks like you have charger plates on the front rim?

You missed the period correct fork brace, the shocks can be re-built to suit the rider. Extending the forks doesn't help with my 28" inseam but if you can hang on you shouldn't be dragging anything.

The rear rim is a 150 I assume it is 4" wide, can't make out the front is it a 110, 2-1/2"?
What is the diameter of the Kosman, 310 or 320mm?

The oil cooler is not connected, when is the last time it has been running?

You had said the engine is not original can you sort out a race history for this bike?

It's vintage XXX after this point lads!!

jim kots
VRRA Member

Postby thelittleguy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:24 pm

Now , that is a nice bike. Reminds me a little of seeing Wes Cooley at the match races in the U.K.That looks like "the dogs bollox " as opposed to a street racer. Very nice hope someone in the club buys it. I have been trying to sell my TZ350 (very dogs bollocky)but not much money around at the moment.
Good luck
Steve
thelittleguy
VRRA Member

Postby scotgary » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi Jim,

The Dymags are 18 x 4.50 rear, and 18 x 3.00 front
The tires are new Battlax BT-45 150 rear, 110 front.
The rotors are 13 inch or 330mm!

The bike runs now. I'm playing with the jetting a little on nice days.

The oil cooler lines are the original ones. They are not connected now because if I was to ride it on the street, I wanted to have a low oil pressure idiot light and use the stock pressure switch where those lines would attach. I have the Yoshimura adapter to attach them.
scotgary

Postby Delta Hotel » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:52 am

Hello everyone, I am new here and located in eastern USA.

Nice bike. I have two now and may be interested.

Is the original 8 valve motor long gone or just not in the bike currently?

Thanks, DH
Delta Hotel

Postby scotgary » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:15 pm

The original motor is gone.
scotgary

Postby Delta Hotel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:01 am

Does it have any documentable history?

What would you like to get for it ?

Thanks, DH
Delta Hotel

Postby scotgary » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:24 am

I don't have a history for it before I purchased it in 1989. The bike belonged to Frank McBride of McBride Cycle in Toronto. He was the main sponsor of the race effort on this bike, and paid to have it built. McBride Cycle no longer exists. After Murphy raced it in pro classes, It was raced by an amateur for a season or two then retired. I found it upstairs at McBrides and bought it in 1989. A picture of Art Robbins bike ( if you watched the video, he was lined up beside #87 ) is in the link below. My bike looked almost identical to this when I got it, except this one has Lockheed calipers, but eveythig else ( colour, swingarm, shocks, frame mods, etc ) looks to be the same.

I do not know where Norm Murphy is now or Frank McBride. Harald Surian built it and maintained it before going on to build championship bikes for Steve Crevier. Surian is still working at his shop in Toronto. I will see if he knows anything.

I would be very suprised if there is any documented history remaining.

I would like to get $7500. Part of the reason I posted here instead of going to Ebay, is to try to determine a value for it. I will consider any offer though.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=art+robbi ... 29,r:1,s:0
scotgary

Postby Delta Hotel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:02 pm

I don't really know what the market is like in CA but here in the US it is a little soft right now. There are some real deals out there, and sometimes they still don't go.

This GS below was completely sorted, correct fresh motor, suspension, brakes, tires, Yosh internals, etc, and was on Ebay last summer. Seller wanted $7k US at the very least and it didn't go...bike is a turnkey racer.

DH
Delta Hotel

Postby scotgary » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:11 pm

That is not a period correct race bike!
That is a recent recreation of what Cooley's bike looked like.
Does not have frame mods, Fox Factory Shocks, braces swingarm, Period forks or brakes.

It looks like one of the clones you can buy from a company like JB Retro Racing.

http://www.jbretroracing.co.uk/enlarged ... 570690.jpg

A period correct AMA bike went on ebay last summer for $14K.

I don't expect to get anything close to that figure.

Do you have an offer?
scotgary

Next

Return to Race Bikes