Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Club Announcements

VRRA under 18 rider policy

Information, announcements from/for the Executive. Schedule changes,upcoming events. If it's not CLUB business (public domain), it will be deleted!

VRRA under 18 rider policy

Postby Michael Vinten » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:34 pm

Following is the policy for under 18 riders that has been accepted by our insurance provider. Note the class restrictions.

All riders are required to have successfully completed a racing school acceptable to RACE and the VRRA. Under age riders will follow the requirements for new riders of any age; safety vest for 3 full weekends, gridding at the back, and no racing at CTMP or CMP unless they successfully complete an event at GB or SMP.

All under age riders must have one parent or legal guardian at the event at all times and sign the appropriate waivers.

16 and 17 year old riders are allowed to race with the VRRA; however they are restricted to machines in the following classes:

Period one – 200, 250, 350 and 500
Period two – light and middle production
Period three - lightweight
Riders on Period three lightweight machines are not allowed to bump up to any class. Riders on Period one and Period two machines may bump up where legal, but only to the classes listed above.

16 and 17 year old riders may passenger on a Period 1 or Period 2 sidecar only but cannot drive.
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Re: VRRA under 18 rider policy

Postby Colin Duncan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:16 pm

I think this may create an interesting scenario, I believe a National competitor and Pro rookie of the year, may be under 18, and therefore, will be restricted to the machinery he can run in our club.

Something feels wrong with this, given who else can run whatever they want, based on age, not experience.
Better to bodge and ride, than polish and hide!
Colin Duncan
VRRA Executive

Postby Ashton Bond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Thank you for your concern Colin.

Mr Casas received his VRRA competition license nearly two months ago. At that time I performed the same task that I would do today. I researched his credentials, and found he holds a Pro road racing license issued by our insurance vendor RACE. I cleared him for unrestricted competition. He will however have to adhere to the remaining portions of the terms set forth by RACE in regards to minors racing.

This policy makes no change to that protocol, or to the decision I would make given these specific circumstances. Had these specific circumstances been different, and this was a new 16-17 year old racer, the above protocol would directly apply.

Every racing applicant whether new or renewing comes across my "desk" for acceptance. The license can be granted or revoked at any time. I'm certain that if RACE feels I'm mis-applying the protocol I'll be notified. But at the time of his application he certainly cleared out requirements, and I don't see how the above protocol would change that decision if I was presented with the situation today.
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Postby Colin Duncan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:43 am

Good news Ashton.
Glad he's getting the green flag!

Interesting to think there will be at least four active Pro's on our grids this year.
Very cool!

Cheers,
Colin
Better to bodge and ride, than polish and hide!
Colin Duncan
VRRA Executive

Postby Peter Sheppard » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:50 am

Now we have a protocol for riders under 18 years of age. Presumably a young rider can apply providing he meets the base criteria and if he/she has extra years of racing experience that would be a plus even if they did not have pro status?

The VRRA has always been a club of amateur racers with a sprinkling of past champions, now we are having Stacey, Thomas and Louis all pros who are still actively competing in regional or national series racing with us, is this signalling a change to the clubs future?

Peter S
Peter Sheppard
Peter Sheppard
VRRA Member

Postby Bob Smith » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:56 pm

is this signaling a change to the clubs future?

I doubt it, they haven't relinquished their Pro status. I suspect it is more a vindication of the quality of our product!
Bob
When in doubt, give it gas. It may not help the situation, but it will end the suspense!
Bob Smith
VRRA Member

Return to Club Announcements