Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Club Announcements

Endurance Series Revamp!

Information, announcements from/for the Executive. Schedule changes,upcoming events. If it's not CLUB business (public domain), it will be deleted!

Endurance Series Revamp!

Postby Ashton Bond » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Following our discussions at the AGM on our Endurance races, and it's re-tooling into a true series championship I'm happy to make a very exciting announcement! New for 2015 we have completely re-thought our endurance races and have formulated an all new 3-race Endurance Racing Championship Series.
We are still negotiating the fourth round as a shared event with ASM.

Paul Dewey stepped forward immediately following the AGM to take on the responsibility of helping me coordinate the series, allowing for it's expansion. We formed a small committee of myself, Dominic, and Paul along with two of our newest racers Ben Martinez and Kirby Crosby, both former WERA Pro Endurance racers, to discuss what we think are some great ideas to not only make the series more fun, but also more competitive, and more importantly attainable by all of our racing membership!

Endurance racing is a team sport, there is no such thing as a DNF, and it is a unique type of racing that rewards steady fast lap times. It's that basic premise that have led to the new structure, and I'm sure you'll agree this will make for some very close and exciting racing.

-All races will require a minimum of two riders, and will be two hours in length.

-Manual scoring mandatory.

-There are now only three classes, comprised of our current classes, placement based on lap time data averaged across all classes, across one full year's competition history. They are as follows:

Lightweight-
P1-200
P1-250
P1-350
P1-500
P1-Open
P2-Light
Middleweight Production
P3-Light

Middleweight-
P2-Heavy
P3-Middle
P4-F3
P4-F2

Heavyweight-
P3-Heavy
P4-F1
MGP

Each of the Teams in these three categories will receive a trophy at the track for positions 1-3.

Here's the twist: The Series championship is now based on total accrued mileage over the entire season. Every individual team will earn mileage based on their total laps towards the series championship, PLUS additional mileage awarded based on the following handicap table:

Lightweight-
P1-200: 28
P1-250: 10
P1-350: 6
P1-500: 2
P1-Open: 3
P2-Light: 5
Middleweight Production: 0
P3-Light: 0

Middleweight-
P2-Heavy: 9
P3-Middle: 5
P4-F3: 0
P4-F2: 0

Heavyweight-
P3-Heavy: 5
P4-F1: 0
MGP: 0

How did we come up with those numbers? It was easy! I just assigned the task to our #1 racing nerd, Dominic Aubry. He crunched numbers for the better part of a month to average ACTUAL VRRA lap times for each class across ALL our events to come up with a % difference in time between every solo class that we could then directly and realistically apply to each class to literally level the playing field so that any team can now realisticly compete for the series title!

There's more...

Bonus laps!

Every Team will be eligible to earn bonus laps based on the following table:

-Extra Team members: 1 lap/member for every member past 3
-Highest combined team age: 1 lap
-Longest time spent repairing bike in hot pit- 1 lap

Sound like fun? We think so. What this structure allows for is the earlier periods to realistically compete for the championship while simultaneously rewarding those who are out to win the day. Endurance racing is a great way to introduce new racers to our sport, and our club, without the pressure of the sprint racing atmosphere. I'm really excited to be able to make these changes available, and to see the segment grow. This year's results will of course help us steer our club's future activities, so let's have fun with it, and may the best Team win!
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Re: Endurance Series Revamp!

Postby Percy W » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Awesome , Ashton , Dom, Dewey et al.
Now, where's my old CB175 .....28 laps head start!!! Brilliant.

Cheers

Miles.
Percy W

Postby Dave M » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Is there no end to the 2015 racing surprises??? Well done guys! But personally I hope the team I'm on NEVER earns bonus laps. Those should just be called "pity laps".
The trouble with trouble is that it starts out as fun.
Dave M
VRRA Member

Postby John Crossley » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:40 pm

Awesome, nice job guys & thanks for all the effort
John Crossley
John Crossley
Tech Committee

Postby thelittleguy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:28 pm

great concept
We may be racing three different bikes in three enduros through the yr , so this could play into our hands hhmmmmm
Great job and very novel and interesting concept
well done
Steve
thelittleguy
VRRA Member

Postby Brian FZR400 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Nicely done!!!
Brian FZR400
VRRA Member

Postby marshall498 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Dave M wrote:Is there no end to the 2015 racing surprises??? Well done guys! But personally I hope the team I'm on NEVER earns bonus laps. Those should just be called "pity laps".

I am hoping for Calabogie Support racing...Its so close to home, and its too expensive to do track days there, so I have only done 1.
marshall498

Postby jerry smith » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:24 pm

A sincere thanks to all passionate racers who got together to make this happen.You make all of us proud to be a member of this club.
Jerry
jerry smith
VRRA Member

Postby Mike Heggarty » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks VRRA exec's and support crew for all your efforts ! This should really help stoke the Endurance grids this season and will be great fun!

One question about scoring.., if your giving pesky old CB175's a 28 laps head start could the exec team also consider the H-D Sportster ? Seems, I've now bought one from my son. Given the power to weight ratio and the fuel range from our dented peanut tank I'm wondering if a 30 -32 lap head start might be a
reasonable request ? Perhaps augmented by bonus points for # of parts that broke or/if there is a successful race completion ?
Just thinking out loud and had to ask..
C'mon on spring - won't be long now.
Mike H #815
Mike Heggarty
VRRA Member

Postby Dewey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:52 am

Hey Mike, You should have to weigh the bike in and out. Too much falls off, not good! And the rest of the field gets a bonus for largest piece missed in action. :shock: :lol:
Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby Claude482 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:37 pm

... and include big bikes like VF1000R for endurance only. :mrgreen:
Merci Bob de chez Lemoyne motos, thank's Bob at Lemoyne motos, papa, maman pis mon grand frère. Mes enfants et ma femme aussi.
Claude482

Return to Club Announcements