Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Club Announcements

Endurance Rule Changes

Information, announcements from/for the Executive. Schedule changes,upcoming events. If it's not CLUB business (public domain), it will be deleted!

Endurance Rule Changes

Postby Michael Vinten » Sun May 08, 2011 4:06 pm

As part of the Competition Committee’s ongoing efforts to improve our procedures, I was asked to review the endurance rules for track terminology. These terms are only found in the endurance rules and it is important that they are understood by all workers and volunteers. During the review several safety issues were discussed with the Tech Committee. The Tech Committee agreed to amend the rules, specifically to ban funnels during fuelling and to have the bike on a stand during fuelling. This led to dropping the requirement to have a team of at least three members. The existing requirement to have a fire extinguisher pointed at the bike during all pit stops was also changed to during fuelling only. The full revised rules will be posted shortly.

PART C ENDURANCE RACE RULES AND PROCEDURES

1. INTRODUCTION

1a. All VRRA rules and procedures are in effect for and during any VRRA Endurance Race. The Endurance Rules and Procedures are designed to cover specific needs for endurance races.

2a. Pit wall - separates the pits from the race track
Pit counter - separates the pits from the paddock
Pits - area between the pit counter and pit wall, including pit lane
Pit lane - access to and from the track to the pits

2. RIDERS AND TEAM MEMBERS

2a. Only registered riders may compete on machines they have registered for. No borrowing riders. No substituting riders.

2b. All registered riders do not have to compete.

2c. There is no limit to the number of riders a team may register.

2d. Each rider may compete for no more than one hour plus 2 laps in total for a 2 hour race. Red flag time does not count towards the one hour plus 2 lap limit.

2e. All riders must be qualified to race in accordance with VRRA policy for that event.

2f. Each team must have a minimum of two riders.

2g. All team members who enter the pits (including during red flag periods) must comply with VRRA policy for that event. Everyone in the pits must have signed the waiver and be wearing the proper wristband.

2h All team members in the pits must be wearing long pants (no shorts), shoes (no sandals) and shirts (no cut-off shirts or tank tops).

3. PROCEDURES

3a. All teams must have a name.

3b. All entry forms must be complete with all fees paid, memberships verified and waivers signed before a team may enter the track.

3c. All teams including all riders and crew must attend mandatory endurance riders meeting before start of race. A roll call will be taken and any team member not present will not be eligible to participate in the race.

3d. All teams may provide a scorekeeper who can keep track of laps in the event that the transponder system fails. If a team wishes to forgo the scorekeeper when using transponders, they do so at their own peril. Should the transponder system fail there will be no back up for laps lost. Score sheets will be available at the endurance team meeting.

3e. Grid positions will be determined by order of entry. However they may be altered by bike classification, allowing the larger more powerful bikes to start in front of smaller machines.

3f. Pit selection is on a first come, first served basis. Bikes of each class will have their pits grouped to one side or the other of the transponder loop to keep scoring accurate. Pits will be laid out by the pit marshals prior to the race. Each pit must be identified by a sign displaying bike number.

3g. Red flag time is part of the length of the race. The clock will continue to run during the red flag and the race will not be extended.

3h. Any rider involved in a crash, defined as the handlebars touching the ground, may ride slowly back to the pits after receiving approval from Race Control via a marshal. The rider must seek and receive medical clearance prior to re-entering the race. The bike must be presented to tech inspection to be cleared prior to re-entering the track.

4. PIT LANE PROCEDURES

4a. Right of Way in pit lane goes to the rider exiting the track. Riders returning to the track must give way.

4b. Each machine must stop within a marked stop line or box at the entrance to pit lane. The rider must come to a complete stop and place both feet on the ground. Machine may proceed only after a brief inspection and when directed by pit marshal.

4c. Absolutely no smoking in pits or within 15 feet of the pit counter.

4d. No vehicles of any kind (including pit bikes) in the pits during the race.

4e. All machines operating in pit lane must be in 1st gear and maintain a speed under 20 kph. Obvious violators, in the judgment of a pit marshal, will be held at pit out for 30 seconds before being allowed to re-enter the track. A repeat violation will result in a loss of laps.

4f. Teams must notify pit marshal when moving bike behind the pit counter.

4g. No bikes may enter the track once the checkered flag is displayed.

4h. Power starter rollers in pit area are permitted.

4i. Under no circumstances shall a bike be ridden against the direction of traffic.

5. MACHINES

5a. All machines must be able to pass tech inspection at any time during the race

5b. No bike substitutes after start of race

5c. All machines must meet the applicable VRRA class rules to be eligible.

5d. Water drain in cap well of fuel tanks fitted with flush mount caps must be plugged at the fuel cap location with a rubber bung.

5e. Any team wishing to use quick-change hardware must have that hardware pre-approved by tech prior to the event. This may be by providing actual hardware to tech or a detailed drawing and description. Any machine showing up at an event with quick-change hardware not pre-approved will not be permitted to race.

6. PIT STOPS

6a. Each team must have a working fire extinguisher of minimum capacity of 5lbs., which must be manned and pointed at machine during all fuelling stops. Failure to do so will result in loss of laps.

6b. All fuel cans must be hand held (no towers or pressurized systems) and approved for fuel storage (UL, CSA etc). The maximum size of any fuel container allowed in the pits is 10 litres. All fuel cans must be equipped with non-sparking fittings (aluminum, brass, plastic etc). Approved gravity dump cans and valved cans may be used, provided they are accepted by tech inspection.

6c. Tank changes are not permitted for fueling.

6d. Funnels are not allowed for fueling

6e. No more than one fuel can in the pits at any time.

6f. Engines must be turned off during fueling.

6g. Bikes must be on a stand while fueling. The stand must be capable of holding the machine upright without human intervention.

6h. Rider must be off the machine during fueling.

6i. Bikes must stop completely within the assigned pit area.

6j. Teams wishing to share pit areas must be pre-approved prior to race.

6k. During a red flag the pits are closed. You may line up at pit in or the start line in single file and wait for restart. If a machine is in the pits when a red flag is displayed all work must stop until the race is re-started. Direction for restart will come from the Race Director.

6l. Riders in pits during a red flag will start from pit lane and will be released after the restart.

7. PENALTIES

7a. Rule infractions will result in a loss of laps. This will be done at the end of the race event after reviewing transponder times and control sheets.

7b. On track infractions will be assessed penalties according to their severity. This could include laps, stop and go, up to and including disqualification.

7c. Race Director will apply all penalties.

7d. Any team using a non-registered rider will be disqualified.

7e. No team can have a non-registered crew member in the pits during the race (including red flag time).
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Re: Endurance Rule Changes

Postby larry » Tue May 10, 2011 6:27 am

Little late for an April Fool's joke. WTF did this stuff come from? I've been around racing for nearly 40 years and have never heard of any problems with filling a fuel tank with a funnel ... if anything, it's got to be safer than splashing directly out of a fuel can. And as for putting the bike on a stand, I'm shaking my head. Nothing like making things more complicated and likely to go wrong, for no reason that I can imagine.

Really starting to feel (1) glad that I've sold my bikes, and (2) curious why I bothered renewing my membership this year.
History is just one damn thing after another.
larry
VRRA Member

Postby ken marion #10 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Not sure about the funnel rule Larry, but as a team we always used a stand during the fueling pit stops, because of the event if there was a spill, and it ignited the tnhinking was that the first instinctive reaction would be for all involved to get away from the bike as fast as possible, which would then cause the bike to tip over and spilling more fuel, adding fuel to the fire (literally, not figuratively :wink: ). I'm not sure if that is why they have brought in this rule, but its been our team's policy for years.
ken marion #10
VRRA Member

Postby gary holden » Wed May 11, 2011 8:06 pm

I think the stand rule is a good one for the reason that Ken stated,and for the added bonus that it led to the removal the requirement for a third crew member.Also,I believe you can spill more fuel overfilling a funnel than you can by pouring from a fuel container with a spout.Ask me how I know this :oops: .Just my $.02 worth
Half-fast Racing 401
gary holden
VRRA Member

Postby Michael Vinten » Fri May 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks Ken, your reasoning was ours. A fire would be right under the arms of the person holding the bike - it would not be long before the bike was dropped making the fire worse. WERA also requires a stand while fueling. Gary experienced what one of the tech committee members experienced using a funnel. Large funnels contain a lot of fuel that has to go somewhere when the tank is full.
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby Paul&Sharon Bowyer » Sun May 15, 2011 8:10 pm

I think the safest way to run an endurance race is not to use motorcycles. Vote for me and we will dismantle the long funnel registry.
Cheers Paul
Using too wide a brush usually leaves a mess for someone else to clean up.
Paul&Sharon Bowyer
VRRA Member

Postby larry » Sun May 15, 2011 9:24 pm

Paul and Sharon Bowyer wrote:I think the safest way to run an endurance race is not to use motorcycles. Vote for me and we will dismantle the long funnel registry.
Cheers Paul

P*ssing myself laughing. Nicely done, sir.
History is just one damn thing after another.
larry
VRRA Member

Postby Bondo » Mon May 16, 2011 7:05 am

Good one Paul.

Next, to avoid congestion at the starts, we'll throw all the rider's boots in a pile and you'll have to sort through them, put yours on and then go.
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby jerry smith » Sun May 22, 2011 5:51 am

Not fair Bondo.Mister white boots would be running in first place every race.I suppose we could throw 3 left ones in the pile to slow him down.
jerry smith
VRRA Member

Postby gord » Sun May 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Okay I'll say it,we have 2 guys(larry and Bondo) who no longer race making fun of what seems to be an eminently sensible rule. Crusty indeed
life is a VIcious cycle
gord

Postby darlington » Fri May 27, 2011 12:08 pm

I second that , theres no need to make fun of these rule changes.The intent is to make the endurance racing safer. Larry I'm surprised at how hostile your posts can be. Theres enough conflict in the world without you stirring it up on this forum. To be honest I would rather you not renew your VRRA membership.
I specialize in Kawasaki air cooled 4 strokes from the seventies and early eighties 550-1100 .I also network with others and can search for parts on your behalf .
darlington
VRRA Member

Postby thelittleguy » Fri May 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Hey Stevo
I even detect a tad of hostility in your post . Chill out man.Larry has been around racing ( sorry Larry) probably as long as anyone else I know, with a wealth of experience too.Just re read his post , take it in and let the man have his say, it is a free forum I belive. He makes a good point.Dont belittle the guy just because you dont agree.
Anyhoo. enough of this shite, see ya at the TT
Steve
thelittleguy
VRRA Member

Postby Bondo » Mon May 30, 2011 2:35 pm

gord wrote:Okay I'll say it,we have 2 guys(larry and Bondo) who no longer race making fun of what seems to be an eminently sensible rule. Crusty indeed

Crusty? You haven't seen crusty yet.

You really should get your facts straight before trashing someone. I've quit racing but Larry took a year off - he's planning on riding the upcoming endurance race a week and a half after a not exactly minor surgery.

Like Larry, I've been around racing for a while and I've seen more bikes fall over while putting them on the stand than I've ever seen fall over during a fuel stop. And this is when the riders have lots of time and aren't under pressure. Imagine the fun fumbling bikes onto stands while the adrenaline is flowing and everyone is rushing during a pit stop? Have you seen some of the stands some riders are using? Now we'll have to have regulations governing the type, size and colour of the stands.

Before you say more, I've ridden in two 24 hour races, a 12 hour and three or four five hours. More recently, I did several VRRA two hour endurance races with a couple of class wins and one overall win so I have a bit of endurance experience.

Back to not racing, our President doesn't currently race, neither does our Competition Coordinator, so I guess you'll discount what they have to say as well?
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby Motoshire747 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Stands or no Stands...will that ice cold beer taste any different Friday night after the race?
Steve #7forty7
Motoshire747
VRRA Member

Postby Bondo » Tue May 31, 2011 3:14 pm

Motoshire747 wrote:Stands or no Stands...will that ice cold beer taste any different Friday night after the race?

Only if you don't use the beer case as a bike stand.
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Next

Return to Club Announcements