Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Club Announcements

Mont-Tremblant

Information, announcements from/for the Executive. Schedule changes,upcoming events. If it's not CLUB business (public domain), it will be deleted!

Mont-Tremblant

Postby Dave Hughes » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:13 pm

To the membership. I can fully understand your desire to have a race at Mont- Tremblant, it is a magnificent track and I had the pleasure of doing the Jim Russell Race School in F2000 cars there in 1989 and 1990. But the reality is that it is a very expensive venue for a Club of our size to hold an event and not come out of it with a large financial loss and at this point in time that is something we cannot afford. The Mosport Vintage Festival was the one weekend in the VRRA calendar that raised enough funds to offset the losses at the three other events but that did not happen in 2010 and to add another race knowing that it will lose money would not be in the best interest of the Club and the members. The suggestion that we invite another group of riders to support us is not possible as I was reminded that the membership voted at an AGM not to include modern bikes in our events. One other important issue is the fact that we are an Ontario registered club and we have no “business standing in Quebec”. If a group of Quebec riders were to secure the track for a weekend and invite the VRRA I’m sure there would be good support from our members. Dave Hughes.
Dave Hughes
VRRA Member

Re: Mont-Tremblant

Postby racerdude413 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:31 am

thanks for letting us know....
Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

Postby 959 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks for letting us know Dave.
Message I get, is that at this point in time it is a no go for 2011, however that does not preclude continuing to work on a bus model for a future year, that should simply be demonstrated as at least cost neutral and inclusive of all our classes, so,, to the quebec fanatics,, keep at the bus model, there is still hope and a good chance IMHO that you can pull it off.
Peter Balen
VRRA Member

Postby cha0s#242 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks for the letting us know the decision of the Executive.
BTW, obtaining an out of province registration for an Ontario business can easily be obtained for cheap, so don't let this simple administrative process stop you in the future. I can help you with that if ever need be.
Please let us know as soon as possible of the future of the Quebec GP, if any.
Image François Cartier #242, professionnal wildcard.
cha0s#242
VRRA Member

Postby racerdude413 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:50 pm

cha0s#242 wrote:BTW, obtaining an out of province registration for an Ontario business can easily be obtained for cheap, so don't let this simple administrative process stop you in the future. I can help you with that if ever need be.

That has nothing to do with this, the event would have been a turn key event provided by a quebec buisness the same way ste-croix was....

Pretty much all of Dave's (the execs) reasons can be argued, but a decision was made and i am moving on...
Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

Postby Paul&Sharon Bowyer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:06 am

Hi Dave, I think you folks made the only decision possbile at this time. Bankrupting the club is not a good plan. Perhaps in the future we might be able to go there. Your first difficult executive decision this year.
Cheers Paul
Using too wide a brush usually leaves a mess for someone else to clean up.
Paul&Sharon Bowyer
VRRA Member

Postby racerdude413 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:32 am

Paul and Sharon Bowyer wrote:Hi Dave, I think you folks made the only decision possbile at this time. Bankrupting the club is not a good plan. Perhaps in the future we might be able to go there. Your first difficult executive decision this year.
Cheers Paul

The decision is everything but a financial one. The fact is, the Execs and some members dont want to share an event with the "evil plastic bikes" or dont want their buddys with the loud bikes left out ,and thats fine, i understand THAT, but quit the bullshit about the financial and logistical reason's. The people that are willing to go (vintage bikes or otherwise) were willing the make the necessary efforts, and even pay extra in some cases (btw that was not considered into my "tremblant figures") to go to tremblant and not loose the club ANY money.

I understand that not loosing money cannot be garanteed (and none of our events garantee that obviously) but we barely looked into any details, following the AGM, not a single member of the Execs contacted me to even consider a plan that could make this event work. Its very easy to look at anything and say, "we can't do that" without actually considering it.

Like I said, tell me its about not wanting to share the event with modern bikes, thats fine, but stop telling me its about the expected financial loss...
Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

Postby hillrest » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Tell us all Dominic how is it you can predict the future? :?: Like you said respect the decision or our Executive and "move on". Let's stop all the bashing and maybe come up with a excellent plan for 2012 that the Executive and membership cannot refuse at the next AGM!! :idea:
hillrest
VRRA Member

Postby cha0s#242 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Peter Balfour wrote:If everybody who wants to race at Tremblant (me included) does some home work and obtains all the information for the event in 2012 we can move forward with this.

With all due respect, that's exactly the problem. We did all the homework and had the facts. We had all the info but nobody cared to ask us. That's what is frustrating about this whole process. I have no problem accepting the Exec's decision and moving on, but I just needed to set the facts straight before I did.
Image François Cartier #242, professionnal wildcard.
cha0s#242
VRRA Member

Postby Paul&Sharon Bowyer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:58 pm

Dom,
For me it is about the money. You assume too much if you refer to me with the 'BS' statement. I am not new at this, I know what things cost and how quickly those costs can spiral out of control. We all had a chance to run for executive and some went for it and were voted in. The club will now be steered by them whether we like it or not. If I do not like it my options are to work with it or go away.
With respect:
If it was you and a group of friends funding the event with your own money and the same constraints the executive has I seriously doubt that you would not take the long pause before jumping in. They made a responsible decision. That is what they get paid the big bucks for. It is time to move on and support the executive so the club can go forward. If one cannot support them then get the hell out of the way. Perhaps they can figure out how to do Tremblant next year. I would love to go back and would unretire our GP bikes for that event. Even if there were moderns there.
Paul

racerdude413 wrote:
Paul and Sharon Bowyer wrote:Hi Dave, I think you folks made the only decision possbile at this time. Bankrupting the club is not a good plan. Perhaps in the future we might be able to go there. Your first difficult executive decision this year.
Cheers Paul

The decision is everything but a financial one. The fact is, the Execs and some members dont want to share an event with the "evil plastic bikes" or dont want their buddys with the loud bikes left out ,and thats fine, i understand THAT, but quit the bullshit about the financial and logistical reason's. The people that are willing to go (vintage bikes or otherwise) were willing the make the necessary efforts, and even pay extra in some cases (btw that was not considered into my "tremblant figures") to go to tremblant and not loose the club ANY money.

I understand that not loosing money cannot be garanteed (and none of our events garantee that obviously) but we barely looked into any details, following the AGM, not a single member of the Execs contacted me to even consider a plan that could make this event work. Its very easy to look at anything and say, "we can't do that" without actually considering it.

Like I said, tell me its about not wanting to share the event with modern bikes, thats fine, but stop telling me its about the expected financial loss...
Using too wide a brush usually leaves a mess for someone else to clean up.
Paul&Sharon Bowyer
VRRA Member

Postby jim kots » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Paul,

There are alot of conversations that do not make it to the forum. The lowest acceptable outcome was to loose $6K, that was never the target. Balancing the year end is much easier if you cut two dogs from the pack, exchanging for them for one thoroughbred event, this was also not discussed.

Paul you are right about cost escalating but without a full contract from the track it is hard to be accurate, Dominic's numbers reflect a very good projection of expected revenue.

The best line I ever heard from a home owner regarding costs and a reno was "we only have two choices, we can either go over budget or we can increase the budget". A marketing VP that was use to getting what she wants. I wish I had more clients like that.

The offer of private monies was not discussed but this was a real possibility. The difficulty would be that the VRRA may not support a mixed event, could make for a rather expensive track days.

SO if money matters my expectation is that the club is on track to loose $20K next year. No change has been put forth, you have lost the Tech Coordinator, one of a few that were interested in a progessive future (how many follow?), a show within a few weeks and no published schedule. My best guess is repeat last year and pray harder. Does this sound like crazy out of the box thinking?

The executive needs to pull their collective heads out of their arses and start taking advantage of the members that will contribute while they are still here.

Steve Hoffarth has been picking away at marketing the club with little support. There is no point, the executive need to endorse and empower him with the ability to build a team, before this happens the membership needs to express their view of the future VRRA and not some distant future - 2011, 2012, 2013.

But this is the close knit club where members are not allowed to know members, so no contacting them, sorry Steve.

Wouldn't want someone hijacking the club and what is Colin Fraser doing this winter?

Jim
jim kots
VRRA Member

Postby thelittleguy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:31 pm

What happened to our tech cord???????
Steve
thelittleguy
VRRA Member

Postby 959 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:56 pm

To the membership
Kots wrote the following. Disregard that excerpt entirely.
A team is in place already to assist Steve, with a face to face meeting is scheduled for dec 10th at the show, with the support of the exec. Stay tuned.
Count on your marketing/promo team! Go team.

Steve Hoffarth has been picking away at marketing the club with little support. There is no point, the executive need to endorse and empower him with the ability to build a team, before this happens the membership needs to express their view of the future VRRA and not some distant future - 2011, 2012, 2013.
But this is the close knit club where members are not allowed to know members, so no contacting them, sorry Steve.
Peter Balen
VRRA Member

Postby Thomas Faulds » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Don't throw the baby with the bath water!
I see an opportunity for a Quebec entrepreneur!
An opportunity to organise and promote Vintage Roadracing at Tremblant & secure the future of the Quebec GP?
There is a need for a motorcycle club to replicate the Montreal Sports Motorcycle Club of the 50's-60's 70's era, an organisation that promoted events at available venues in Quebec, in cooperation with Ontario clubs.
The enthusiasm exists, the vision is evident, a financial partner is required, all that is missing is the balls to make it happen.
Build it, they will come!
Getting old can be a drag, but the memories and experience lingers long.
Controversial, Yes! but competion is healthy for the spirit that moves you.

Look where you want to go! Remember where you have been!

Tom
Thomas Faulds
VRRA Member

Postby jim kots » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks Peter,

That is truely excellent news!

Jim
jim kots
VRRA Member

Next

Return to Club Announcements