Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Pictures & Videos

Old pics from VIR

A place to post links to sites that you may have your pictures posted. These sites seem to be very popular right now

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Old pics from VIR

Postby BANDIT » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:24 pm

Go here for some nice old photos, occassinally one from Canada pops up like this...anyone look familiar, got a date?
Here's the link http://www.virhistory.com/vir/bikes/aamrr.htm
Graham Charnock
VRRA #999
RACE #666
I'm the guy you (USED) to look over your shoulder at as you pass me down the long straights.
BANDIT
VRRA Member

Postby McCallum RACING » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:56 pm

The only one I know is #100 Jim Allen (right hand side of the photo). Not sure of the year ??. Nice looking crowd in the grandstands !!
Cheers ... Ian !!!

1986 Honda VFR750F #84
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination
McCallum RACING
VRRA Member

Postby Bondo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:18 pm

74 is "Mouse" McPherson on a TZ350, Number 4 is Jean Lysight on an H1R (I think it's the 500. I don't think Jean ever rode the H2 version), 52 is Kurt Liebman on a CR750 Honda.

26 is Dave Jackson on a TZ350 and 111 (again, I think) is Chris Manley on another Kawasaki.
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby Bondo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:24 pm

And this probably would've been 1973 when the TZ350 was all-conquering. The TZ700 came out in 1974 and the rest, as they say, is history.
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby McCallum RACING » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:26 pm

52 is Kurt Liebman on a CR750 Honda

Steve I thought so as well, but that bike in the picture looks like it has a drum brake on the front ??. .
Cheers ... Ian !!!

1986 Honda VFR750F #84
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination
McCallum RACING
VRRA Member

Postby TK4 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:11 am

52 is Kurt Liebman on a CR750 Honda

Steve I thought so as well, but that bike in the picture looks like it has a drum brake on the front ??

Maybe its Liebman on his CB/CR450 ???
TK4

Postby Bondo » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:46 am

I stand corrected.

I'm pretty sure it's still Liebman but now that I see the drum, it's gotta be a TZ350 with a Vesco fairing. They were kind of blunt-nosed and squared off at the front a bit. I'll have to go out to the garage and take a look at the one that was on my TD2.

Scott - from that info, you can probably confirm. Paint looks similar to the Vesco stripes.

And... there's a guy you can barely see over Mouse's right shoulder. Looks like another Yamaha Canada bike from the paint. Jim Dunn? Baker? If it were Baker, it's doubtful if he were that far back on the grid.

Hey - don't I get bonus points for Dave Jackson?

Speaking of bonus points - in civvies standing behind JIm Allen is his tuner, Ken Rosevear and talking to Ken is Mouse's tuner, Jim Leach. Saw Ken at Bar's show on the Saturday.
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby TK4 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:34 am

[quote="Bondo"]I'm pretty sure it's still Liebman but now that I see the drum, it's gotta be a TZ350 with a Vesco fairing. They were kind of blunt-nosed and squared off at the front a bit. I'll have to go out to the garage and take a look at the one that was on my TD2.
-You're right, its a Yamaha - check out the front fender.

Scott - from that info, you can probably confirm. Paint looks similar to the Vesco stripes.
I'm not thinking Vesco - maybe Amol precision ?

And... there's a guy you can barely see over Mouse's right shoulder. Looks like another Yamaha Canada bike from the paint. Jim Dunn? Baker? If it were Baker, it's doubtful if he were that far back on the grid.
Its likely Jim Dunn.

The more I look at this pic, the more I think its Victoria Day Sprints 1973, and this is the start of the Pro Feature. Why do I think that ? Jim Allan is wearing his 'non-Yamaha' leathers and his helmet with all the little tiny spots on it. He was dropped from the official team shortly therafter for not wearing the team issue kit and his inability to get along with Bob Work.
TK4

Return to Pictures & Videos