Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Pictures & Videos

Pictures from back in the day

A place to post links to sites that you may have your pictures posted. These sites seem to be very popular right now

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Re: Pictures from back in the day

Postby Dewey » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:13 am

Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby Bondo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 pm

Here's one I took of Peter Williams when he brought the John Player Norton to Mosport. Would've been either '73 or '74. Taken from the top of turn 2.

I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby TimV » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:24 pm

Tim Voyer #840

CMR Suzuki TR750 Replica
CMR-Seeley 350 Replica
1971 P1 CB350

Whatever you do, always give 100%. Unless you're donating blood.
TimV
VRRA Member

Postby Peter Balfour » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Here's one I took of Peter Williams when he brought the John Player Norton to Mosport.

OK Steve, you are winning the cool bike picture award! I got to meet Peter Williams at the new Norton launch dinner in Toronto, he's quite a guy and amazingly approachable. He asked me what I raced, I told him an old BSA B50 and he knew all the technical details of the motor in my bike...very cool. What else you got sitting in those old photo albums Mr. Bond?

Peter
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Bondo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:19 am

How about this one? The best roadracer there ever was or ever will be, Mr. Stanley Michael Bailey Hailwood shortly after he stepped on my foot at Daytona.

I'll have a look and see what I can find. Back then, most of us took slides and sadly, a lot of mine have disappeared over the years. I had some really good pit shots of Saarinen, Roberts, Romero, Paul Smart, Ago, Rayborn, Carruthers and a bunch more greats from the era but have no idea where they are. I think I loaned the whole carousel out and never got it back.
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby Peter Balfour » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:57 am

That's a great shot Steve...I like the the can with the name "Trash" on it, just in case you had any doubts :D . Its a very candid picture which are the best. So, how did a guy known for his smooth riding and amazing bike control step on your foot :shock: .

Peter
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Bondo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 pm

A few guys have heard my Hailwood story before but here goes. I was riding in the Novice race at Daytona that year (I think 1971) on my TD1C Yamaha and hanging around the Goodyear garage. I was trying to scrounge some cast-off tires that the fast guys had used in practice because a set of their scrubs would last me almost a full season back home.

I guess Hailwood was using their facilities to change and I was just leaning on the wall when a wiry, hawk-faced individual brushed past and stepped on my foot. "Sorry, mate" he said.

"Yeah pal, whatever. Whydonchawatch.... HOLY CRAP IT'S MIKE FREAKING HAILWOOD!!!"

I grabbed my Instamatic and took the shot.

This is my TD1C at Daytona that same year, warming up in the paddock area. My second roadrace ever.

That year, I couldn't keep the damn thing running. Didn't finish any practice sessions, was a DNF in the heat race as well and was third alternate for the final. A few guys were "Did Not Starts" for the final and I made the cut in the middle of the back row of the third wave. Eighty starters and I was 79th.

Being my second race, I had no idea what I was doing but the bike kept running and I ended up 33rd after only being lapped once by eventual winner John Long.
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby Dewey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 pm

George Morin in the middle, I believe this is after clinching #1 plate at Shannonville
Chis Econimaki (sp) interviews Yvon Duhamel at Mosport
A couple of bikes at Mosport
Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby Peter Balfour » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Hey Steve, are those bell-bottoms? :shock: Dewey...great photo of Yvone D. getting interviewed. Keep the photos coming, these are awesome. :mrgreen:

Peter
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby racerdude413 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:37 am

Here are pictures from my early racing carreer in chronological order...

My first race bike in 1993 , a 1987 RZ350 my dad bought for 275$
these pictures are in st-eustache

Note the radical custom painted helmet..
Last edited by racerdude413 on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

Postby racerdude413 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:44 am

This is after we moved to Florida circa 1994

My first street bike (1990 RZ350) i crashed doing a wheelie (wearing shorts and a t-shirt) converted to a race bike.
This is my dad on it, that was his first ever motorcycle roadrace, he only did this one race until racing with the VRRA in 2009.

Thats me the same year we switched from the RZ to an 88 FZR400, my first 4 stroke racebike, and i loved it...

This was poor racing, the bike was mostly stock, and judging by the red Georgia clay on my leathers, this picture was taken the next race weekend after our first trip to Road Atlanta where i tried to win the 30 minute solo race in the first corner, it was a drying track with just a dry race line... (i was not succesful)
Last edited by racerdude413 on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

Postby cha0s#242 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 am

racerdude413 wrote:My first race bike in 1993 , a 1987 RZ350 my dad bought for 275$

Is that the one that passed Jean-François Cyr on the brakes ? (because it lacked said brakes :lol: )
Image François Cartier #242, professionnal wildcard.
cha0s#242
VRRA Member

Postby racerdude413 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:55 am

cha0s#242 wrote:
racerdude413 wrote:My first race bike in 1993 , a 1987 RZ350 my dad bought for 275$

Is that the one that passed Jean-François Cyr on the brakes ? (because it lacked said brakes :lol: )

Yes same bike, but different day... no brakes makes you go fast :D
Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

Postby racerdude413 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:08 am

Here is some P5 era shots for you, my next race bike after the FZR 400 (and after moving to Georgia), a beauty of a CBR600F2, spray painted red and blue to mimic the harley VR1000 paint job (orange on one side and black on the other). Another wrecked gem we picked up for about 700$, traded a katana slip on and used track body work for whatever usefull street parts that were left. I remember after my first race i came in the pits and told my dad "it feels like the handlebars are crooked to the left side" he said "it's an optical illusion because the upper bracket is crooked"

When we sold the bike at the end of the season the guy that bought it told us he had changed the tripple clamps because they were "really bent" . I had raced all year with it at one of the fastest tracks in America with crooked triple clamps.
We also never bought a new set of tires all year... i had a lot of fun, mostly trying to get into the top 20 of 50 rider fields on faster F3's... (including top amateur that year Jamie Hacking)

Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

Postby racerdude413 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:23 am

Here is my bandit 400 (the bike everyone said couldnt beat FZR400's) this is in 1997 at homestead (after we moved back to florida)

This is one of my favorite pictures off all times, my dad is warming up the bike while i am concentrating on the race. It truly felt like a "team" effort, i barely ever touched the bikes back then , i just handed my dad the tools. As close to a factory rider i'll ever get :lol: I gave my dad a framed copy of this picture for christmas that year, it is still on his garage wall today.

Thats the year that i won my first race, the year everything started to click and i became one of the fast guys

Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures & Videos