Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Pictures & Videos

Pictures from back in the day

A place to post links to sites that you may have your pictures posted. These sites seem to be very popular right now

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Re: Pictures from back in the day

Postby cha0s#242 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 am

I love this thread. Seriously, we want moar !
Image François Cartier #242, professionnal wildcard.
cha0s#242
VRRA Member

Postby Dewey » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:05 am

67 Paul Brignell (sp) 99 Gary Goodfellow 7 Mario Duhamel
Image After I broke the Dymags the bike was on the street the following week. Rode total loss and no starter. Bump starting from the gas pumps always got strange looks. :)
By the way that is a 17" rear.
Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby BANDIT » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:03 pm

That is so cool, thanks Steve-o!
Graham Charnock
VRRA #999
RACE #666
I'm the guy you (USED) to look over your shoulder at as you pass me down the long straights.
BANDIT
VRRA Member

Postby Peter Balfour » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 pm

I think these photos are great! Do any of the donators have objections to using some of these on our club website?

Peter
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Dewey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 am

Works for me, more to come...need to load up some moar :lol:
Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby johnG#248 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:29 am

"Sherman ,To The way Back machine!" O.K. Here's a few pic's that were rescued from a garage. Maybe a few will remember Gary Collins.
Gary is from Barrie and he and Vince McNeil were lucky to be hanging around Barrie one day and convinced Jim Allen to give them a "go" road racing (so the story goes ?). Both did well but Gary was a bit of a natural so with Jim's start up help, he started racing in Canada .Not sure what the first bike was (X6 maybe) but after awhile he ran a TZ250 then they would change the barrells to make it a 350 to race in the 500 class. Gary had Ronnie Lafauve as a mechanic. Ronnie was top notch on the TZ's. I hear one of Ronnie's strategies was ,parts didn't have the same spec's / quality back then...many guys would just get a some parts and start rebuilding. Ronnie would weigh and measure EVERYTHING from Yamaha then maybe sand down one piston to match up a set up perfectly etc. So Gary always had the motor, Vince tells me Gary's TZ would come back in to the Pits and other racers would wander over to see what they had done to it, looking for some fiercesome port job. But it was just tuning .

Gary #241 at Loudon with Yvon in front...some of you might know who else is in picture...Gary mentioned to me that he thought he had a "good weekend" that weekend

One of Garys highlights was sharing a Victory lap ride in a convertible with Lawson (who won the race) But was not the race Pictured.
On the TZ 350 Gary won the Canadian 500GP Championship in 76 or 77 ? Battling with our own Mr. Henderson !
VRRA member
johnG#248
VRRA Member

Postby Bondo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Peter Balfour wrote:Do any of the donators have objections to using some of these on our club website?

I have no objections, Your Honour.

And John, I think Number 48 in that picture is Richard Schlacter - one of the really fast local guys who went on to win one or two AMA Nationals on a TZ750. I got to know Richie pretty well from racing down at Loudon and saw him at Daytona a couple of years ago - great guy. As former racers do, we chatted about old times and he remembered the time he, Mike Baldwin and I went at it on production bikes on the old track there.

I don't think the guy in front is Yvon - looks sorta like Robb Cooper from Toronto. Rob rode a TZ for a couple of years.
Last edited by Bondo on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby BANDIT » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 pm

he remembered the time he, Mike Baldwin and I went at it on production bikes on the old track there.

Hey Steve, wanna re-phrase that one, I'm getting a really bad visual! :shock:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Graham Charnock
VRRA #999
RACE #666
I'm the guy you (USED) to look over your shoulder at as you pass me down the long straights.
BANDIT
VRRA Member

Postby Bondo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Hey Steve, wanna re-phrase that one, I'm getting a really bad visual! :shock:

Okay - for those of us who never finished grade three - how about "the time we had a spirited dice at Loudon?" :wink:
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby BANDIT » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:42 pm

WHAT! You mean some of U motorsickle fellers went to skool?
Actually, I was so good at grade 3 that they let me do it four 3 years! :roll: :roll:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Graham Charnock
VRRA #999
RACE #666
BANDIT
VRRA Member

Postby Bondo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:29 pm

When i started racing, production rules were up to 250cc and over 250cc. In the fall of 1971, I bought a Yamaha DS7 250 so I could go production racing the next season. About two weeks after I changed the ownership over, the CMA changed the rule structure to up to 350cc and over. Sigh. So my new ride was obsolete already.

That spring, I was in a Toronto Kawasaki dealership and saw the sales brochure on the new line of triples and bought the first 1972 S2 350 Kawasaki triple in Toronto in March of that year without ever seeing a for-real model in the flesh. The bikes weren't due in country until April but I had to have one. Tipped it over once or twice and ended up painting it black with hand painted lettering and stripes before writing it off in October at turn 8 at Mosport.

I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby Peter Balfour » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Great stuff Steve! I like the hair-do, I'm pretty sure I had the same style...when I actually had hair :D . ...sigh.

Peter
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Peter Balfour » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:47 pm

After I crashed my GT380 going 70 MPH in a corner trying to pass my buddies muscle car I sold what was left to my brother, I then got heavily into homebuilt airplanes. I did'nt have a bike again until I was 35. I built this plane in my dad's garage when I was 21 and flew it for over 500 hours. When I was dating my wife Lynn I convinced her to fly with me to Oshkosh in this little tandem KR2, that was a trip to remember. She even married me after that trip...we almost got run over by the concord! I was more of a nut-bar back then (incredible but true), I use to test fly buddies homebuilts until one guy almost killed me while checking him out in a homebuilt which ended my test-pilot days.

Peter
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

Postby Bondo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:20 pm

No airplanes in my past but something almost as fast...

TZ700 at Sanair. I couldn't believe how frigging fast that thing was the first time I opened it up on the straight. TZ350s were mobile chicanes. Honda CR750s were stationary haybales. Despite that, it was fairly tractable with a reasonably wide powerband, definitely not peaky like a TZ250.

Hey Peter - I hear that Oshkosh fly-in is supposed to be pretty cool. Might be a worthy tour destination one summer.

As for similar hair - did you have the sideburns right down the jawline as well?
I never finish anyth
Bondo
VRRA Member

Postby Peter Balfour » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Wow, that's cool...a TZ700, can't even imagine riding that thing. My TZ250 feels nuts!

Hey Peter - I hear that Oshkosh fly-in is supposed to be pretty cool. Might be a worthy tour destination one summer.

As for similar hair - did you have the sideburns right down the jawline as well?

Oshkosh is well worth the trip and highly recommended...I've been at least 12 times! Everything from Spitfires to stealth bombers...very cool. As for the "burns", nope I had no luck growing facial hair back then. Amazingly, once I lost my hair on top I can pretty much grow hair anywhere now :shock: . Sorry about that visual... :mrgreen:

Peter
'71 BSA B50 P1-500
‘84 Yamaha FJ600
Peter Balfour
Tech Committee

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures & Videos