Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

thanks for Mosport sidecars

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

thanks for Mosport sidecars

Postby paul whittaker » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:27 am

thanks to Malcolm and Jan for joining the group along with Jake and Huge also out for their first time, thanks to Doug Donalan and Bob Bove for making us work so bloody hard, but in a civilized manner.
When you are as close as we were to Doug and Bob (try two abreast into Moss's), and trading places 4-6 times in one lap, its great to feel comfortable at the same time. Not to be left out, thanks to Bill and Roger for being at their second VRRA event this year, and going very well also.
I could not help but notice the long row of matching uniforms hanging over the pit wall, maybe we gained some exposure by having to allow a good part of our pit area to be reserved for those who make a much larger impression on Mosport's bottom line.
Its fair to say VRRA sidecars would be very thin indeed today without the US teams support. This year has seen the lowest number of Canadian rigs on the track since Marie and I started back in 1999, some thing we hope to change for 2009. thanks again, Paul and Marie.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby limy_1 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:21 am

I would like to echo Paul & Marrie on Mosport.

Personally I enjoyed the racing more on Saturday since we had an
agreement to keep it close for a few laps in the Heat Race.
I also can say we ran much faster in the Final on Sunday so it too was
fun and a lot of work.

I had the opportunity to talk with several teams from the American LeMans Series and boy did they have an interest in the idiots that ran these 3 wheeled contraptions.

This was my second race weekend at Mosport and I think the turnout this year was much better than last year. I suppose the Holiday weekend hurt last year but prices were up this year, go figure.

I am still trying to build a sidecar program into AHRMA and it looks like we will have 1 or 2 teams to add next year. Maybe we can do a two race Can-Am Series with licenses being accepted by both organizations for these.
I propose Mid-Ohio & Mosport.
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Postby Mikey » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:37 am

I had a great time out there as well! (Thanks, Ralf) We had a group from Lowe's Racing come by as we were getting ready, and they had a lot of questions about the rigs, and then asked when were we going to be out on the track. We told them, and I'm sure I saw a "line of blue" at the one corner as we came by :D so there was some of the audience. I spoke with a lot of riders, and tried to get as many out watching, so I hope it helped. Thanks everyone for a GREAT weekend, (Paul you don't need to kick in Both bottles of nitrous when you pass us do you? :shock: :wink: ) oh, and Rog... I thought you were going to show Ralf and I something on Sunday? Aparently, we never saw it :twisted: :wink: :P :D Thanks for the pushing though, makes for a FUN race!

See everyone at North Bay? :D :D
Mikey
Bet I see the Checker before you! ;-)
Mikey

Postby bfd » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:28 am

I enjoyed it immensly, thanks to all. It's very satisfying to bring down your lap times- it really felt like we were in there.
Sorry I didn't get to say good bye to most before leaving. It was a long drive and I wanted to get as many miles in as possible before the sun went down. But who parked that big truck in the right lane on the 401?
Ian - I wish we could have had our race on Sunday. I kept looking back at Moss' and thinking we were doing really well!
Paul- maybe you can give us the critique some time of the laps you followed us on during Sunday.
Mikey- Bring it to Barber so we can settle this like gentlemen! Or Loudon
Roger- thanks again as always, a pleasure for me
bfd
bfd

It was fun

Postby Ralf Scholtes » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Mike, thanks for doing a great job in the chair. The more I try, the more I realize, I have a lot to learn.
Thanks to everyone that came out and made the sidecar race a success.
My arms and shoulders may be sore, but damn it feels good, see you all at North Bay
Work hard, play harder
Ralf Scholtes
VRRA Member

thanks for the entertainment!

Postby mike burke » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:51 pm

Fun to watch , as usual!
Mike

Grampa #227

Enjoy life!
mike burke
VRRA Member

Postby Malcolm Lake » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Jan and I are going to work hard to make sure we get to take in all the fun at the front. Lots yet to learn for an auld fart and a wonderful lady! We look forward to being a little closer at North Bay.

Thanks for all the help and advice but most especially for the huge welcome.

Mal
Malcolm Lake
VRRA Member

Postby bfd » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:34 am

Gees
I have reread my post and don't want it to appear there was ANY hard feelings with Mikey- just the opposite. Since we're so close on the track I'd love to see you guys more this season for more great races before the snow flies. And I'm willing to bet Roger would prefer a last lap lunge that didn't put his head so close to the concrete wall.
I can't bring myself to use those little smiley faces to show I'm kidding, perhaps I should start :)
bfd

Postby Motoshire747 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 am

Great race! I had a friend out who thought she might want to try being a monkey while watching the race...then we saw the rigs sliding around corner 10 followed up by a monkey bouncing his head off the pavement on the same corner. Not sure if she's still up for it but it was huge entertainment! I can only imagine how much fun that would be through the other corners! Well done!

Steve #747
Motoshire747
VRRA Member

Postby Mikey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:36 am

I'll second Bill's post. I like to think that we are friends on and off the track, but that being said, Bill and Roger and Ralf and I seem quite evenly matched, so there have been some fun pokes, simply because we are so evenly matched. Great racing by the way, Bill and Roger. :D :shock: :D That sure was a close finish!

Steve. Bring your friend to North Bay, I think there will be sidecar rides, and so if she has leathers and helmet that will fit her, she can see what it would be like on a sidecar. It's done at slower than race speed, so you can get an idea, and it is LOTS of fun! As close a group as the VRRA is,the sidecar group is like one big happy family. (with everyone trying to figure how to outsmart Dad (Paul) and Mom (Marie) on the track :oops: :oops: :oops: )

Come out and join us, and give it a try.
Mikey
Bet I see the Checker before you! ;-)
Mikey

Postby bfd » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:11 am

It's the only place to get a hug on the pre-grid
bfd

Postby limy_1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:32 am

Motoshire747 wrote:Great race! I had a friend out who thought she might want to try being a monkey while watching the race...then we saw the rigs sliding around corner 10 followed up by a monkey bouncing his head off the pavement on the same corner.

I am not sure but you maybe talking about me at the finish with Ralf.
Bill did say that I would prefer to be just a tad further from the wall.
I can say and show my helmet as proof I did not touch the wall.
On the other hand I have at times been told I am touched in the head.
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Postby ian bruce » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:08 am

I think Paul and the others have covered just about everything.

From my perspective as an unwilling spectator on Sunday, I have to say that I saw some pretty good racing out there!

Races within races (Whittakers vs Doug and Bob-awesome and Ralf and Mikey vs Bill and Roger-tight, back and forth) as well as watching new talent learning ( Jake and Hugh, the Lakes) and going visibly faster by the end of the race. Ralf and Bill were going faster too..... Not too sure Paul and Doug could have done much more, but enough of my critique!

What was sad was as pointed out elsewhere, was the lack of Canadian rigs out there, and the overall sidecar turnout was lower than usual.

We all have our own excuses for not being there (HEY- I missed Quinte, something I don't want to do again), but people, if you're not going to race it, put it/them up for sale! Without naming anyone, I can think of a few rigs that didn't get out this year, at all.

I had quite a few requests from very interested spectators going something like this: "How can I get started, this looks so neat, is there a used rig I can buy?"

Like ebay suggests if you are not using it, why not sell it?

Post it on our forum first is all I ask, it would be nice to keep some equipment in Canada (OK, North-Eastern USA is not too bad....) and maybe we'll see some new teams out there in 2009.

See you at North Bay! Who's in for that one?

Then there's always the possibility of Shannonville the end of the year....

Speak up, step up!

Ian[/b]
ian bruce
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm Lake » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:54 am

Jan and I are looking forward to being at North Bay!

Mal
Malcolm Lake
VRRA Member

Postby paul whittaker » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:06 pm

I have it on good authority that it was in fact Bob Bove who was been dragged around 10 in hot pursuit.
It became apparent that because we had it fairly easy on Saturday, Sunday would not be the same. by the time we caught Bill/Roger and Ralf/Mikey I realised they were going quite a bit faster than in the heat, and by the time we made it to Doug/Bob I new we might just not win this one. In case you are fairly new to the sport Doug and Bob both have lots of experience on Mosport, both solo and sidecar and like another team last year they passed us several times including the bottom of the shute (need to get up to speed there).
Which brings me to one of the no shows this year: Patrick and Michel DuPerron. again some will not be aware that Patrick had a very serious accident on his dirt bike and is still recovering from damage to his back, had they been there this would have been a three way race.
lastly in addition to Ian's plea to use it or sell it, consider sponsoring another team. I spoke with Maurice Candy on the weekend about passing along his back ground of sidecar experience to a prospective new team.
Maurice is close to 80 years now but still enjoys the track, and provided a Manx and a Velo? for others to race. I ask others to consider doing the same for sidecars which need all the help they can get.
Marie and I will be at the airstrip on the mountain, arriving through through the park, and watching for moose (the closest thing to a brick wall, if they do not move), this year maybe we will see Elk also, now swollen to the point they are devouring some farm crops.
As for the last round at SMP, we have not been invited, but we might if there were 6-8 rigs committed to the event. This would require several US teams to achieve.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Next

Return to Sidecars