Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

Sidecar width?

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Sidecar width?

Postby Ashton Bond » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:23 pm

I am working on specing trailers for our bike pick up needs for the upcoming season, and sidecars don't fit on what we currently rent. I know we currently toe them back, but that only works as long as we've not lost a wheel. Basically, how big does it need to be in order to guarantee swift retrieval?
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Re: Sidecar width?

Postby gary holden » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:12 pm

P1,P2 and P3 sidecars are restricted to a max. width of 72" with maximum track of 44" and minimum ground clearance of 3".My Whittaker built rig will fit through the 57" rear opening of a Chev van and is about 7 ft long.Width at the tires is 42".One thing to keep in mind is that vintage sidecars need a low ramp angle because of little ground clearance and tail overhang.
Half-fast Racing 401
gary holden
VRRA Member

Postby Ashton Bond » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:33 pm

I am actually wondering if the answer is a roll back tow truck at each event...?
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Postby gary holden » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Abond wrote:I am actually wondering if the answer is a roll back tow truck at each event...?

That would work great,especially if more than "lost a wheel" is the issue and the sidecar has to be winched onto the platform.But they don't come cheap for a whole weekend just in case a sidecar needs one.Or do you have a sponsor in mind?
A flatbed double snowmobile trailer is definitely wide enough.
Half-fast Racing 401
gary holden
VRRA Member

Postby Ashton Bond » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't remember the rig this year, but I do remember it wouldn't fit, and had to be towed. I remember thinking at the time: what if it can't be towed?.... For the first time since I've been around, we have a solid team leader in bike pickup looking to make sure there's no "if's", so I'm looking for ideas to give her. The loading issue still remains for the flat deck trailer. Anyone know a row company willing to spot a rig??? :shock:
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Return to Sidecars