Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

Sidecar gridding problems

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Sidecar gridding problems

Postby Michael Vinten » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:56 pm

At the Quebec GP and the Quinte TT we had drivers who did not line up in the correct row. Because of having several periods in one race we do not always line up on rows 1, 3, 5 etc. The third row at the TT was not on row 3 but row 6. When the first person arrives on the wrong row other teams move up so they do not have a disadvantage. This creates confusion and a potential safety issue. Ashton and I have discussed considering anyone on the wrong row (except those opting to start at the rear) to be in a position equivalent to a jump start and to be subject to the same penalties. Comments and opinions?
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Re: Sidecar gridding problems

Postby Biketech101 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:53 am

Could we put a larger cone every other row and number them either 1,2,3,4 or 1,3,5,7 for just the sidecar race? Or move every other cone off to the side (like 6 feet) ?

Dale Minnett
Dale Minnett
Biketech101

Postby Steve F » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:42 am

It's pretty simple!!

where the 2 front bikes are gridded (whether on row 1 or 2), you simply miss a row, so there should be a cone empty in front of you. Riders need to spend more time looking at the grid sheet to see where you should be on the start line. And, the bikes should be staggered for safety purposes.

I'm not sure what your rules are for the VRRA, ours with the SRA are if you grid in the wrong position you are docked 1 lap. This is enforced and has made a difference. It is also the "drivers" responsibility to know where you are supposed to be on the grid.

Just recently i had another rider stop me on our way out for our warm up lap and ask me where he was on the grid! He was told very quickly to f****** off. He obviously hadn't taken the time to go and look at the grid sheet.
Steve F.
Steve F

Postby csrrace » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:17 pm

People should relax....the faster 'drivers' are going to come through anyways! Once the first row is lined up, doesn't really matter....just wave the race on and HAVE FUN :D
csrrace
VRRA Member

Postby Percy W » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:48 pm

This discussion certainly does bring up the question...."what are the rules, regarding incorrect grid placement"
For everyone...not just sidecars. It happens Quite frequently. So what's the rule? Or do the starters need a bit more time to check the grid?
I have looked at the 'rule book' and can't find anything.
With our ever increasing grids , two wave starts etc. , and with safety in mind, shouldn't there be something....or is there and I can't see it. ?

Miles.
Percy W

Postby Michael Vinten » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Nothing in the rule book but it is in the Competitor's safety items and procedures document that everyone acknowledges reading when entering!!

With multiple sidecar classes we may not be on rows 1, 3, 5 etc as the electronic system allows a row between classes. At the TT, row 1 was for P3 and row 4 was the first row of P2s, so in this case the second row of sidecars was in row 4, 6 and so on.
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby Percy W » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Mike. Is that document on line somewhere too?
Percy W

Postby Michael Vinten » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:20 pm

Front page top under Rules or right hand side under membership.
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby Ashton Bond » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Here is the actual link:

http://www.vrra.ca/?page_id=984
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Postby MGill » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:25 pm

Did our riders meetings just get longer again?
#39 BMW
Member #1336
www.mmmotowerks.com
MGill
VRRA Member

Postby scooterboy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:38 pm

After what happened on Saturday at shannonville (two rigs made some good contact with three of us all going for the same opening) I took it upon myself to walk around the pits on Sunday and mention to everyone that we should be paying more attention to our grid positions especially with the staggering not because I thought anyone was getting an advantage or was trying to sneak ahead a bit but 100% purely for the safety aspect. If we are staggered correctly then there is a pleantyful opening ahead of you for anyone who gets a good take off..... I got a good response from most teams but did feel like I was wasting a couple of guys time and got the the "yeah whatever" feeling. I know full well its a bit confusing but we would be very happy to sit at grid for a minute or two more if we need to get ourselves juggled around a bit.
.....just my two pennys worth
scooterboy

Postby Ashton Bond » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:58 pm

The grids are printed hours in advance of your heat race and finals. The rules are very clearly printed. Please adhere to your assigned/earned grid position. If there are any questions as to where your team's position on the grid is on race day, I'm very accessable, and happy to help.
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Return to Sidecars