Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

Sidecar tryout for racers

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Sidecar tryout for racers

Postby Michael Vinten » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:53 pm

I discussed with Ashton about using one of the sidecar sessions on Friday as a time to take out potential passengers or to allow another rider the chance to drive a sidecar. These would not be parade laps as they would only be open to riders registered for the Friday practice or endurance race. Neither of us have a problem with this arrangement. I suggest that the last session on Friday be used for this purpose. Most of us came to sidecars because we had the opportunity to go on the track and then got hooked! What are your thoughts on this idea? If enough of us agree I would announce this at the Friday morning rider’s meeting and we can also arrange with riders we know prior to the weekend.
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Re: Sidecar tryout for racers

Postby Dewey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:07 pm

I would love to do this! I will be at GB to take care of the ER but had not planned on riding, in fact leaving Friday after the race.
So the question is. as I will not be registered to practice could I still take part?
If I had to pay for Friday just to passenger 1 session, well, it would have to be Yates green meanie, but I'm still in.

Oh, and if you want to do it at Mosport count me in there too!

pd
Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby Percy W » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:43 pm

Having a time set aside for people to try things out on a sidecar is a great idea, and I fully encourage it.
I would Like it if we could use a lunch hour or after track activities at the end of the day.
Firstly, one of the great parts about doing it Saturday or Sunday is that it allows fans and spectators to participate, people who may not otherwise have the chance.
Secondly, the sat/sun option allows us to make a few bucks for charity.....win/win.

Practice on Friday may be needed in full by some teams and has been paid for by them up front.

We have always participated in the 'ride program' and will continue to do so. Our preference however, would be to do it on Sat/Sun as a 'pay your $20 for charity, and all comers welcome'.

Thanks.

Miles.
Percy W

Postby Ashton Bond » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:58 pm

The lunch hour at the events would be ideal from our standpoint, but one of my major concessions this year for increased time in the day was to make sure the lunch hours are used for lunch. The Marshaling services and volunteer groups have been very forthcoming this year, and I'd like to keep to my promises. This would be an opportunity really focused toward potential new sidecar racers, hence my being OK with them intermixing with an actual practice group.

We can definitely work toward the public platform again, but that'll be something we'd need to plan for and work with our Marshals and Volunteers on. There's an initiative being worked through that could definitely help there, but it's a 2016 thing.
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Postby Dave M » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:56 am

I'm all for it. It's how I got started, took a ride with Ian Bruce.
The trouble with trouble is that it starts out as fun.
Dave M
VRRA Member

Postby Michael Vinten » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:53 pm

I agree that the situation is not ideal and parade laps for spectators and riders is good for all, however parade laps will not happen this year as Ashton explained. My proposal was to entice our riders to try sidecars as most of us came from 2 wheels. Friday being a non race day may make it easier for some to find the time to try a sidecar. Hopefully we can find more potential sidecar entrants who want to take the school or buy a rig after the experience. I know we will give up one paid practice session but I think it will be worth it. We can ask for donations for our event charity.
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby Dave M » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:46 pm

I think this method is a far more effective way to grow the sidecar grids than parade laps are. If I understand correctly Mike, this will be 'by invitation' rather than a free for all ride, am I right? If so I totally agree with the approach.
Dave M
VRRA Member

Postby Michael Vinten » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Essentially it would be "by invitation" in that you would know who will be the passenger. One can also choose to let someone drive your rig. Allowing only registered riders means that helmet and gear have been teched, waiver signed and they know the track. Riders can approach who they would like to go out with or we can offer rides to those who we know have been thinking about trying a sidecar and need a push :wink:
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby Dave M » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:02 am

Or they can ask... Once people know the program is available they could speak with any of the teams about driving or riding. I can't speak for Dale but I would be willing to consider another racer driving our rig for a practice session. But whether they are driving or riding we will need to maintain the experienced driver/new passenger or new driver/experienced passenger relationship.
Ashton did a few laps driving ours at Cayuga and I'm pretty sure he enjoyed it - judging by the big grin and the threats from his wife Heather (Dave - why did you let him drive that,,, :D )
Dave M
VRRA Member

Postby Ashton Bond » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:16 am

I only need a bigger trailer...
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Postby terryjj1 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:38 am

is there a course for passengers one could take?
No number...
terryjj1

Postby Dave M » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:24 am

Yes, at our Quinte TT event at Shannonville next spring or talk to Mike.
Dave M
VRRA Member

Postby Dewey » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:32 pm

I'll pack my gear and bring my wallet.

pd
Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby terryjj1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Dave M wrote:Yes, at our Quinte TT event at Shannonville next spring or talk to Mike.

Roger
No number...
terryjj1

Return to Sidecars