Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

sprocket set up

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

sprocket set up

Postby scooterboy » Mon May 11, 2015 9:51 am

Dont want to delve into anyones trade secrets but just wondering if any of you guys switch out your sprockets for the different tracks. Some of my crew are insisting on it but Im not convinced, we did try going up one on the front sprocket at Mosport but it felt like it was then stuggling up the hill on the back straight.
scooterboy

Re: sprocket set up

Postby Robert Marshall » Mon May 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Yes people change their gearing for various tracks and configurations.

I run the lowest rear sprocket at Mosport and work my way up to about 4 teeth higher at some tighter configurations. If the wind changes direction down the back straight you need to change at least 1 tooth on the rear sprocket..... your experience may be different.

Rule of thumb for changing the front sprocket is that it is worth about the same a changing by 2 teeth on the rear.

good luck,

Rob
#29 Ducati 900SS
Robert Marshall

Postby Robert Marshall » Mon May 11, 2015 3:15 pm

Another point.

There are gearing calculators out there on the internet. You can input every gear ratio (1-6), then your primary and rear sprocket sizes,.... then add the circumference of your rear tire, max rpm etc.

Plug all this info into the excel spreadsheet and bang it gives you what gear you should be in where, and what your actual top speed will be.

Input your various sprocket sizes and you will see what the difference will be.
#29 Ducati 900SS
Robert Marshall

Postby tintop » Mon May 11, 2015 4:51 pm

scooterboy wrote:Dont want to delve into anyones trade secrets but just wondering if any of you guys switch out your sprockets for the different tracks. Some of my crew are insisting on it but Im not convinced, we did try going up one on the front sprocket at Mosport but it felt like it was then stuggling up the hill on the back straight.

Absolutely. Different ones for Nelson & Pro / Long @ Shannonville, and different again for Mosport. Note that you have to clearance the XS cover to fit an 18 front. My basic set-up was a 17 front, and 34 / 35 / 36 depending on track / config. Considered getting a 33 for Mosport.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Return to Sidecars