Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

New team, new rig.

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

New team, new rig.

Postby rdhunt1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Hey all,
Ryan and evie here. Our newly built two stroke rig is up and running. Shakedown at Mid Ohio is complete and went pretty well so it is coming to mosport.

I will try and get the youtube in the video section. If it doesn't work try youtube search "sidecar mid ohio 2014" from rdhuntx76

Yes, it's full of mistakes, bad lines, missed shifts, and a passenger that was fading fast! You'll see our pals tommy and hanna (yep first full weekend back on track since barber - and while still a little conflicted they handled it beautifully and with any luck it convinced them to keep at it!) take advantage of us going a little wide at about 4:03. I got the "slow down a bit" hand gesture at about 4:41. We lap some brand new racer pals on a guzzi rig from kenosha (second time ever on a track and they hope to make mosport in 2015) at about 4:53.

We loved every stink'n second of it!! Hooked. Hope to see you soon!
of course my snowblower has excellent transient throttle response...doesn't yours?
rdhunt1

Re: New team, new rig.

Postby Mikey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:59 am

Wow, you guys look great out there for the first time on a new rig! Nice build, Ryan! Hope that I'm well enough to see you run it at Mosport! Good luck, and have fun!
Mikey
Bet I see the Checker before you! ;-)
Mikey

Postby rdhunt1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks Mikey,

It was hard to jump off the two wheeler with the same engine but 5 teeth less on the rear sprocket and make the flip to this one, still hit shift points, stay out of the grass, and make sure evie had time to make her transitions.

My thoughts as we left the starting line, "I'm gunna try and give'r till she tells me to slow down"
She said as soon as we left the start her first thoughts were "holy crap we are going faster than practice!"

What a riot!
of course my snowblower has excellent transient throttle response...doesn't yours?
rdhunt1

Postby rdhunt1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:12 am

Hey all
We are running the 3.5-16 dunlops. What are suggested tire pressures? We had 26 front and 28 rear and I thought the temps felt pretty good. What about chair wheel pressure? It has a brake on it but is not hooked up yet.

We realize we need WAY lighter springs up front. We are only using about .75" to 1" of shock travel. This will be remedied by mosport. Should they be the same spring rate as the rears? Rears are vertical and fronts are at a 45º angle. Front are currently heavier damping than our rears. Rears felt ok to us newbs.

Any and all input greatly appreciated.
rdhunt1

Postby MGill » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:24 am

Those tire pressures seem about right.
We run 35-40 in the chair tire. It's 10" from a mini
Recommended on the sidewall says 40.

Nice rig btw Sounds awesome!
#39 BMW
Member #1336
www.mmmotowerks.com
MGill
VRRA Member

Postby tintop » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:19 pm

mgill wrote:Those tire pressures seem about right.
We run 35-40 in the chair tire. It's 10" from a mini
Recommended on the sidewall says 40.

Nice rig btw Sounds awesome!

+1 on the bike & tire pressures. That's about where I run my 16's, although I may go up/down a bit (1lb) depending on temperature. Chair tire (radial) around 30.

I run Hagons and the front is softer than the rear (20kg f / 30 kg r) both on the 2nd preload setting. Gives me some initial sag when loaded, and about 1 1/2" travel.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby Ashton Bond » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Sounds sweet! What is the chassis/motor?
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Postby tintop » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Not sure who's chassis, but the engine looks like a Suzuki 500.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby Paul Boyd » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Good job and thanks for sharing
Two stokes rock.
Thought it was an RD.
All my bikes are vintage.
But not when I bought them?
Paul Boyd

Postby paul whittaker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:31 am

Sam Stoney ran a T500, Catherwood ran a Yamaha, one of the USCRA group bought Ozzie Auers Kawi triple. several others ran 2 stroke only a few years ago.
A caution on the get out position shown, I thought after Hana's quick detachment others would revert to the std monkey's top end in line with the bike. I have had a chair a few feet in front grenade and just managed a quick "S" to avoid most of the debris. we have had spin outs etc and with luck managed to come through. I doubt some of those would have ended well had it taken the extra seconds for the monkey to get back in.
Also Monkeys feet high on the fender/gas tank looks like it would hard on that bodywork after a few races.
I hope you have as much enjoyment in the sport as Marie and I have over the last 14 years. yours, Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby rdhunt1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:09 am

Chassis is 100% new by my retired father after multiple emails with both paul and larry coleman. He started about last november. Engine is an RD400 that I built up exactly like my ahrma f500 two wheeler (pre 1972 with like models allowed - lots of emails with ahrma crew as that's our primary org)

It goes better than I though it would primarily due to the chassis being LIGHT! The pair of Kawi CSR rims weigh about if not more than the engine! They will get tuned up within reason for next year. Gearing was pretty close for first guess.

Thanks all for the input, every little bit helps us newbs. We ran 35psi in the chair wheel. It is a little twitchy/darty (and I need to be smoother!) and trail is currently at minimum. There is SOOO much adjust-ability built into the chassis that we may never know what it all does!

Paul, to your point neither me or the old man knew evie would use the fender as a foot rest, but she seems to like it. If it continues, the fender will get reinforced to take the stress. We though the same thing the first time we watched the vid. I will let evie know about the inline bit. Now that tommy and hannah's vid has hit youtube I see her do that on the front straight. Leaning forward inline with the fender.

Our pals that we lapped at the end on the guzzi rig are just as stoked as us if not more so. It was their second weekend ever on a track on old tires and a still unfamiliar rig. I think it'll have new tires by this weekend, and they are both starting a diet!

Scott makenzie beat up on me pretty good in 70's gp 500. I held him off for a few laps and kept him in reeled in after he did get by but he once again brought the AMA #1 up to canada.

I have only ever seen two, two strokes. There was once a yamaha vmax4 in formula rig down here, and I saw the 600cc sled powered rig at mosport last year.
rdhunt1

Postby Ashton Bond » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see it in person. We really need to arrange a sidecar press photo shoot... Mosport maybe?
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Postby tintop » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Abond wrote:Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see it in person. We really need to arrange a sidecar press photo shoot... Mosport maybe?

Great idea, how about a line-up on the front straight / finish line, Friday after practice sessions finish???
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby Ashton Bond » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Bill Murphey has offered to do arranged group photos like we did with the FZR's last year. Touch base with him, and it should be easy to organize.
BRS Racing #161
CCS, USCRA, AHRMA, VRRA
Ashton Bond

Return to Sidecars