Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

overheating advise please

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Re: overheating advise please

Postby scooterboy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:32 am

gary holden wrote:"These engines run hot." But does anyone know how hot,like by measuring oil temp or cylinder head temp.I'd be interested to see if the aerodynamic penalty of an unfaired bike is offset by the greater airflow around the engine.Except for Mosport,I don't think that improved aerodynamics makes much difference at the tracks we run.

Gary, this link has a list of temperatures about half way down, not sure where hes getting his data from though, I have a proximity thermommeter and will be keeping a very close eye on the new motor. As a foot note I kinda like that dip stick thermometer idea but think the proximity one will work for our needs
scooterboy

Postby scooterboy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:33 am

scooterboy

Postby scooterboy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:45 am

tintop wrote:
gary holden wrote:"These engines run hot." But does anyone know how hot,like by measuring oil temp or cylinder head temp.I'd be interested to see if the aerodynamic penalty of an unfaired bike is offset by the greater airflow around the engine.Except for Mosport,I don't think that improved aerodynamics makes much difference at the tracks we run.

I've thought about installing an oil temp gauge, just never got around to it. I did notice that after I put more venting below the screen the engine seemed cooler. However, it was definitely running hotter at the beginning of the last event. I put this down to a tight / fresh engine, as it seemed to improve as the weekend progressed. Does anyone have a thermal infrared gun? If so, maybe we could get the exit oil check guys to scan everyone's motors after a race.

good idea about the pit out temp checks, not sure if the tech guys would want that on their plate but im sure we have pit crew/family etc that will help out, I know for sure Mary will do it. It will be good data to aquire for all of us.
scooterboy

Postby tintop » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:57 am

scooterboy wrote:forgot the link...duhh
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14559

Interesting link, and it gives some 'street' temp #'s for comparison. Two issues with the dipstick oil temp gauge is that it would have to be modified to allow for safety wire. Also given its position the only time you would be able to get a good look (from a sidecar) is when your stopped. On my bike it would be buried under my right knee.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby gary holden » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Another issue that comes to mind is the length of the probe."The probe is exactly the same length as the stock probe and has marks for measuring oil level." and "Groove around stem shows minimum immersion point on each thermometer."
Will the probe be immersed in oil when the engine is running,or in an oil fog,and thus inaccurate?On my solo bike with sight glass the oil level is way down out of sight when the engine is running,so I would bet that the dipstick,or thermometer, is not in the oil when the engine is running,and it's really messy trying to get a dipstick reading with the engine running :roll: The probe would have to be long enough to almost touch the bottom of the sump to ensure enough immersion.
Points to ponder.
Half-fast Racing 401
gary holden
VRRA Member

Postby tintop » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Interesting point Gary, and also with the sidecars the oil is moving sideways in corners so will be uncovering the probe in rights. Only way to get an accurate reading would be with a temp gauge sender in the oil line coming out of the engine going to the cooler.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Previous

Return to Sidecars