Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

Sidecar Numbers.

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Sidecar Numbers.

Postby Percy W » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:33 am

Sidecar numbers.....
I recently put my P2 sidecar up for sale and the response was amazing.
There is A LOT of interest in racing these bikes.
I think our numbers could be a lot more than they are now.
I encourage you to get the word out if you have a rig sitting and in need of resuscitation Or if you have wicked ninja sidecar building skills!
Get the word out.

BTW. I am selling mine , but will replace it with another for next season.......one more on the grid!

Cheers.

Miles.
Percy W

Re: Sidecar Numbers.

Postby rdhunt1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 pm

Yep! I know some of the stateside ahrma crew is looking, myself included. We may even build one from scratch this winter. With any luck there will be at least one more team to make it up to mosport in 2014.

And those with P2 rollers, feel free to send a pic or two.
of course my snowblower has excellent transient throttle response...doesn't yours?
rdhunt1

Postby Steve F » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:54 am

emmmmmm thinking about it, after driving mike,s at louden and had a lot of fun :D :D :D
Steve F.
Steve F

Postby Percy W » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:44 pm

C'mon Steve.......do it!!
Percy W

Postby tintop » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 am

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I was a SMP yesterday to monkey for Paul W on a new P2 he has built. It's for sale, and runs very nicely. At the same time Ron Brooks brought out his 'Garbut' P3 with a GT750 engine. 1st time out in 10 years for man & bike. Unfortunately Ron has been told that he has to take the school so we won't see it this year. :(

According to Paul over the years he has built 14 to 16 bikes, where are they??? Certainly some have gone to the States, and I can account for a couple more on our current grid. It seems to me we need to find these 'lost' bikes and get them back out.

This is a partial list of those missing in action:
Rob Guilemette
Clark Wallace
Ralf Sholtes
DuPerron
the Bennett bros

There are also a bunch of bikes that use to race with SRA that would be P3's (Ron Brooks' Garbut & my Fiddaman are two). Pete E's Fiddaman / Kawasaki is also now eligible again with the P3 displacement rule change.

Anyone know where these bikes are, or have more to add to the list?? Contact info??
Last edited by tintop on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby Michael Vinten » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 pm

There are at least two Norton powered rigs in Ontario.
Steve Fletcher did not buy Ralf's - his came from the US
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby tintop » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks Mike, do you know who has the Norton rigs?? I'll edit my other post and remove the Steve Fletcher.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby paul whittaker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:00 pm

re Norton rigs, I believe one would be Steve Jowetts which was converted and may be the Yamaha powered rig sitting some where last seen with Frans Van Loon and Andy Cowan. The other may be owned by Thane Gilles, in the Ottwaw Montreal area.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby tintop » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks Paul, does anyone have contact info for any of these people so we can find out that status of these rigs??
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby rdhunt1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Tommy and Hanna matthews have pauls previous orange/red XS rig. Currently run with AHRMA.

Evies and mine is complete and headed to mid-o for its shakedown run this weekend. More premix on the grid! All goes well it will be coming to mosport with us this year.
of course my snowblower has excellent transient throttle response...doesn't yours?
rdhunt1

Postby limy_1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:55 pm

paul whittaker wrote:re Norton rigs, I believe one would be Steve Jowetts which was converted and may be the Yamaha powered rig sitting some where last seen with Frans Van Loon and Andy Cowan. The other may be owned by Thane Gilles, in the Ottwaw Montreal area.

The rig owned by Frans & Andy I believe was last seen about 5 years ago when I passengered for Frans at Mosport. The rig was a gorgeous aluminum bodied Yamaha. We fought hard to make a go of it at the time, carburetor issues but with the help of Ralf, Ian, Paul and I am sure others too we managed to get on track Sunday for the race in the rain.

That was the last time I even heard the names of Frans & Andy.
I have always wondered what happened to them and the rig.
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Postby limy_1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:59 pm

paul whittaker wrote:re Norton rigs, I believe one would be Steve Jowetts which was converted and may be the Yamaha powered rig sitting some where last seen with Frans Van Loon and Andy Cowan. The other may be owned by Thane Gilles, in the Ottwaw Montreal area.

The last time I saw this rig was at Mosport about 5 years ago when I rode passenger for Frans.
The rig at that time was Yamaha powered. We fought long & hard just to make the grid for the Sunday race with carburetor issues. Thanks to the help of Ralf, Ian, Paul and I am sure others we made the race in the rain.

This rig was a beautiful aluminum body rig.
I have not heard about or from Frans, Andy or the rig since that time.
I often wonder what ever happened to them.
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Return to Sidecars