Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

Is Vintage Sidecar Racing taking off in the US?

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Is Vintage Sidecar Racing taking off in the US?

Postby Stephen Szikora » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Stephen Szikora

Re: Is Vintage Sidecar Racing taking off in the US?

Postby paul whittaker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:36 pm

I certainly think that AHRMA has enough interest to field a few more rigs, Bill Becker if its the same Bill, was #2 in SRA West when Rick Murray ran the show. They ran long bikes then so I have no idea of any big wheel experience.
Oddly there is another builder in the east currently working on ten rollers.......................
There does seem to be more interest this season in VRRA for P2 sidecar; how about you Steve, swimming around the bait again? Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby Stephen Szikora » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Yes, Paul, but I'm not much of a swimmer. Anyway ... the sports needs fans too!

While I have your attention ... I've asked this before but don't remember the answer. P1 rigs are supposed to have "period" brakes. Does this mean drums? What are people putting on the few that exist?

Oh, and while I'm a fan, there are limits (as cool as a radio-controlled sidecar model would be) ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-DASH-8-Racing-Cycle-Complete-With-Side-Car-750-NIB-Kit-/120864450911?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item1c2415295f#ht_4688wt_1165
Stephen Szikora

Postby Percy W » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:05 pm

this is what it says in the rules.
For P1 and P2 brakes,

10o. BRAKES: Working brakes on front and rear wheels mandatory; sidecar optional. Drum or single disc per wheel, provided that all disc brake components (disc rotor, caliper and master cylinders) are components (or functionally accurate reproductions) actually available in the applicable period. Friction linings and pads are unrestricted.

Miles
Percy W

Postby paul whittaker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 pm

the disc option for P1 was adopted from USCRA rules as the two clubs merged their rules some years ago. USCRA run all their events at Loudon which is a Nascar oval with a lot of concrete, (we use most of the infield and a leg of the old Laconia track accessed through two holes in the outer wall). So better brakes I assume were seen as a safety measure. hope this helps, Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby limy_1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:50 pm

You can add that AHRMA rules are homogeneous with both the VRRA and the USCRA.
Disc brakes were used long before the end of the period 1 class. Side cars are kind of an amalgamation of several different race classes, thus you can't come out and say if it is a Yamaha XYZ that is the only thing that you can use on it.

The Bill Becker (Mr Bill) is the same as the one that Paul mentioned. He is working with Larry Coleman on building the side car presence in the west and also working with AHRMA to help build the ranks.
Mr Bill still runs a long car with his son and is now a repeat champion out west.
Rick has become semi-retired but seems to be at all of the AHRMA events and the salts with his wife Nida as his speed record passenger.
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Return to Sidecars