Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

New guy intro

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

New guy intro

Postby Kyler » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:39 am

Greetings all! Another FNG here. My regular passenger and I live in Maryland near Frederick. We have a modest amount of sidecar racing time. We got started messing around on a 1985 Wasp/CR500 MX hack (which somehow ended up registered and wearing Historic License Plates--that story only gets told over beers). :lol:

Our addiction led to us racing Pike's Peak in 2011 on a 1974 Wasp/XS650. Now that The Hill is all paved, we've moved towards the road racing side and plan on building a P3 to race with AHRMA and maybe some of your races if permitted, and then go back to PPIHC. I've been talking with Jim Carlson about building the frame--I can do the rest. Another good friend is also planning on building a vintage rig so with luck, in 2013 there will be 2 new teams.

I've just about worn out my welcome with Roger asking dumb questions. MX rules are SO much easier! They don't exist! :mrgreen:
Ken Kyler
- '11 CSR P3 Sidecar w/ Suzuki GS1100 (#375)
Kyler

Re: New guy intro

Postby paul whittaker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 am

Hello Kyler, VRRA has a P3 class; check the rules before starting your rig. You are very welcome to race with us, the closest track this year is Shannonville, east of Belleville if you come up #81. Some P1-P2 rules evolved through our close relationship with USCRA (disc brake on P1 for instance, due to all the concrete at Loudon). Not sure USCRA has anything past P2. Marie and I have been going south since we started back in 99. racing at Loudon, Gunstock, Beaver Run, Mid Ohio, Elkhart Lake, Gingerman, Roebling roads. VRRA P3 class was set up a few years ago but rarely had any out, other than one GT750 front exit. This last year saw 3 on the track so it may be growing finally. Roger is a good "go to" guy, I have a VRRA annual award here for him, next time we meet. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby Kyler » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:27 am

I'd love to know more about the other P3s. Should I post that in the sidecar forum? I'd like to know what I'll be up against.
Ken Kyler
- '11 CSR P3 Sidecar w/ Suzuki GS1100 (#375)
Kyler

Postby limy_1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks Paul for both the reference and claiming my award.
I told Ken a little bit about Pierre's rig.
I had forgotten that Clark's was a front exit.

I did aim Ken at the VRRA rule book and I also reminded him that a P3 is basically a vintage F2.

I will see everyone at Shannonville in June.
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Return to Sidecars