Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

An introduction, and some newguy questions

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

An introduction, and some newguy questions

Postby tintop » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:28 pm

I thought this would be the best place to post this, as it is sidecar racing that I am looking to join.

1st a quick intoduction. In answer to 'how long ?' - My first ride was at about 12 on an x-army Harley in a farm yard. Don't no if it was excitment or fear, but I knew I wanted more that day. I rode my 1st bike (X6) to Keele St to get my car licence. Prior to that I had a Maico 360MX, that I rode through what is now the Donelda Golf Club. :wink: :) With the exception of the 90's, I been riding bikes on the street ever since. Current rides are an 85 VF750F, and a custom cafe 77 550/4 (SOHC4 forum March BOTM). Past rides include a 76 400SS, an 80 CB750F (that years Honda Canada show bike), and a GS550E. Oh, and some Brit stuff, mainly friend's. Racing started with soapbox's on the hilly streets of Parkway West, and ended with a Lotus Cortina Mk2 in VARAC. In between there was Solo 1 & 2 with an MGB, then Civic, and later a Super 7. I've also logged over 300+ races in both single and dual engined karts. Still have the dual.

My original intention had been to build a 550/4, and go racing. However, while I may have aquired some race craft in the past, the steep learning curve tranlating it to 2 wheels, and the penalty for getting it wrong, became less appealing. This spring at Shannonville I watched the sidecars more closely, and started asking questions. At Mosport the sidecars became my main focus, and more questions asked. Then I saw a video taken at Mosport, and as the rig dived into turn 2, I knew this was what I could & wanted to do.

Since then I have spoken with Paul W, and Clark Wallace, thanks to both for their time and knowledge. Also considerable time researching the history of sidecar racing, and most important reading the VRRA Rules. Which brings me to today. I had hoped to attend the AGM, but with moving this month, not possible. :( So the questions I wanted to ask then - In the 'Projects' thread Paul W mentions a laundry list of rigs that have raced in the past, any more info?, contacts?, are any for sale? Were the Hondas P1's? I'm aware of Malcolm Lake's P2 (no reply to my inquiry yet).

Looking forward to joining the 2012 grid - Brian
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Re: An introduction, and some newguy questions

Postby thelittleguy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi Brian and welcome to our party. You will get hooked and you will have more fun than you ever thought possible. I really hope you get a rig sorted , cus we need more of em. BUT, PLEASE dont buy the Malcolms rig cus we need them . Those two racers typify the classic vrra membership.The club wouldnt be the same without them. Not trying to put you off, just trying to keep the Lakes on track.
Steve
thelittleguy
VRRA Member

Postby tintop » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I hear you regarding the Lake's, it's why I also asked about all those others.
"Anyone can build a race car, the trick is to make it fast." - Harvey Postlethwaite
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby paul whittaker » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 am

Steve has summed up the feelings of anyone I know in this group very well. The Ex Brian Brama rig sitting in Harrowsmith would be a good target if the owner were more co-operative. perhaps Gord/Craig Barr can shed some light on how to pry it out of there since the owner did ask one of them to sell it a while back? So far as I am aware it has never moved since it was purchased. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby csrrace » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:47 am

i have a P3 outfit for sale, 613 527 3183 jean guy.
csrrace
VRRA Member

Postby tintop » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks again for the warm welcome, to the world of VRRA sidecars.

I completely understand the feeling behind 'don't buy the Lake's. Substituting one driver for another doesn't grow the sport. While with VARAC, I developed, and stickhandled the adoption of their G70 class. Now, many years later, they have not only a vibrant 2nd grid, but the original V/H grid has also grown again, after years of decline. So yes, I would much rather be adding to the VRRA sidecar grid, rather than just refilling a previous space.

Paul - I did contact Doug/Craig quite a while ago regarding that rig, but heard nothing back. My move is to your neck of the woods, Kingston/Gan area. So with some contact info I could/would 'knock on the door' myself.

Jean Guy - I did take note of your ad for the P3, and it is certainly a consideration. However, as a newguy I'm not sure that's the level I should be jumping into the sport. I come from the school that says 1st you learn to tune & squeeze everything out of the chassis, then you go looking for more power. My concern with a P3 is that the power will hinder attaining the 1st goal. As well at that level something like the Doug & Craig's CSR F2 becomes a possible alternative.

Comments?
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby MGill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Hello, and welcome.
Mike Vinten may have a rig for sale.
Good luck with your search, and hope to see you
On the grid next year.
Mat
#39 BMW
Member #1336
www.mmmotowerks.com
MGill
VRRA Member

Postby tintop » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks Matt, I will add that to my list of possibles.
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby Malcolm Lake » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Brian and welcome! The rig has been withdrawn from sale and we are planning to race all rounds if at all possible next year. My humble apologies in taking so long to respond but I sent an email today with a bit of an explanation. You will have to take the sidecar school at Shannonville as will your passenger if inexperienced on a rig. There's a good chance Jan and I will be doing that again and we look forward to working with you there. If desired we will also help you work on various things as you progress, as I'm sure some of the newer teams will attest.

Thank you to all those above, in another thread, in person and via email who voiced their support and disappointment of us leaving racing. You are all very special and you did have an influence in our decision to keep at it.

Cheers!

Malcolm
Malcolm Lake
VRRA Member

Postby Michael Vinten » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:01 am

Jan and Mal - that is excellent news. I did not even have to use my charm and influence to assist in changing your minds!!

Welcome Brian. After years of enjoying watching sidecars, I was offered the chance to be a passenger. I had always thought of myself as responsible and cautious but I said yes and was hooked, enough so that I bought a rig to ensure I had a ride. At the AGM, I purchased Len Fitch's ex-Paul W. rig. Ewan and I may have a wee weight advantage but it did not fully compensate for a shortage of engine capacity! The rig I passengered on last year is now for sale. It is simple, reliable and went very well last year. If you are interested, give me call at home this weekend 613-445-9829.
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby paul whittaker » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:01 pm

thanks Jan and Mal, best news we have had in a while. Now I have to ask what are last years team on the black and red rig doing for 2012? Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby MGill » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Malcolm Lake wrote:Hi Brian and welcome! The rig has been withdrawn from sale and we are planning to race all rounds if at all possible

Malcolm

WOO HOO!!!!!!
:wink:
#39 BMW
Member #1336
www.mmmotowerks.com
MGill
VRRA Member

Postby tintop » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks for the email Malcolm, and yes I am looking forward to the sidecar school in the spring.

Given possible rigs are not exactly falling out of the trees, I will definitely give you a call this weekend Micheal, thanks.
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby tintop » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:59 pm

After a lot of digging, I finally made contact with Rob Verrier. After checking out the x-Brian Brama rig I have given Rob a deposit, and will be picking it up early in the new year. After sitting all this time it's going to take considerable spit & polish to approach the level of the Lake's rig. Figure if I make it shinny enough though, the glare may slow you fast guys down a bit. :lol: Membership form is winding it's way though the mail, and the school form is printed out. Just waiting for Karen to call with my membership # so I can send it on. Thanks to all, especially Paul W, for the advice & encouragement, June can't come soon enough. One more for the P2 grid. :)
tintop
VRRA Member

Postby Malcolm Lake » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Congrats and welcome! I'm glad that rig will be out again... it's a good one.
Malcolm Lake
VRRA Member

Next

Return to Sidecars