Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

sidecars in the future

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

sidecars in the future

Postby paul whittaker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:30 pm

If you have been following the forum of late, there is a growing momentum for dropping VRRA sidecars due to poor attendance. Ironically the straw seems to have been the inclusion of the F1-2 at Mosport and resulting loss of track time for all. I say Ironic since the last time the SRA were to run at Mosport in a modern round, (when Barr was running the national round there), they could not raise the 9 rigs required, which back then included vintage machines.
The object of this post is to emphasize the "Use it or loose it" viewpoint currently growing in the club. One race a year at the premier event will not suffice to quell the discontent. Please give this some honest thought and plan for the future. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Re: sidecars in the future

Postby MGill » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:31 am

This is my first year racing sidecars, and I can't even begin to express what an absolute riot it is
drifting three wheels on the rig.
We have long time members like Len Fitch, very generously, supplying TWO rigs at each round in attempt to revive the class and I have to say I find the animosity toward the rigs really quite unbeleivable.
Paul if you (or anyone) knows where a rig is for sale, let me know.
Sign me up, I'm hooked.
Mathew #39
#39 BMW
Member #1336
www.mmmotowerks.com
MGill
VRRA Member

Postby paul whittaker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 am

rummer has it that Brian Brama's ex rig/ex mine which Brian sold to Rob Verrier is for sale through Craig Barr, try a pm to Craig. This bike has sat in the garage since it was bought 4-5 years ago, no idea why. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby mixstup » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:08 am

Thanks to Malcolm and Janice Lake, I drove a couple of laps on their rig around North Bay recently,I am hooked .It was an absolute hoot ! I think it would be a travesty to edge out the sidecars,they are always fun to watch and dry the lines in the damp for the solos.I am looking into taking my sidecar licence in the spring.More people should try it out (driver or monkey) and Im sure sidecar racer entry numbers would swell.Good show guys,keep the chairs !!

mick :D
member#1400 race#75
Thanks to Denis and Byron at CMR Racing Products , Phil Havens and all at Thornbury Home Hardware and Jim Keast
mixstup

Postby MGill » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:19 pm

paul whittaker wrote: for sale through Craig Barr

Craig, If you could PM me or email me direct at
gillmathewj@gmail.com to discuss. Thanks.
#39 BMW
Member #1336
www.mmmotowerks.com
MGill
VRRA Member

Postby paul cairoli » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:28 pm

In the past I have put numerous ads in asking if any rigs were for sale as I was/am kind of thinking of having another go
Never an answer
So where are these rigs that dont get out and what are people doing with them
Paul
paul cairoli

Postby paul whittaker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Hello Paul, don't get your knickers in a knot. Allen came back from a SRA round with Craig last weekend and said that Rob was there helping get his old short bike sorted out for the new owner. I then asked if he has thought more about selling the P2 which has sat in the garage since he bought it. Allen said that Rob had asked Craig to sell it for him. over the years I have made requests to Rob to come out or sell it, to no avail. I guess the time is right?
The Bennetts have the one their dad bought from John Wilson but I can understand an attachment to the bike in that case. The DuPerrons also have a rig, which after Patricks accident a few years ago on the motocross bike may not come out again.
There is a rig built by Willy Kenny floating some where, it disappeared when Willy died and Frans moved away.
If I knew of any for sale they would be posted, although I am shy of third hand information. By the way the same response goes to Roger Preston and a couple others who have also asked for info on any for sale. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby paul cairoli » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Paul
Nothing is in a knot .... just a comment that I felt was in line with the topic

Perhaps you will get some of these unused rigs listed for sale
Regards

Paul Cairoli
paul cairoli

Postby limy_1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:56 pm

There must be one or two in the northeast since a Tom Hirlihy took delivery of a right chair at Mid-O this past weekend. That is the only place I can think of that a right chair would be an advantage.

There also was a new rig (one I haven't seen) at Mid-O that I think came out of the stable of John Lanstrom. It was a gorgous BMW left chair.

So right there are two rigs that appeared out of thin air.

I know of another BMW in the northeast that we might see at Mosport.
I have a feeling that that one could be had for the right price after Mosport.

I guess what I am saying is keep your ear to the ground and your eyes open (you don't want to get run over)
If you hear of something let it be known to all if you aren't going to bite on it.
Why should we saddle Paul with the responsibility?
Paul does have his hand on the pulse though.
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Postby limy_1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:59 pm

mgill wrote:
paul whittaker wrote: for sale through Craig Barr

Craig, If you could PM me or email me direct at
gillmathewj@gmail.com to discuss. Thanks.

Just to help you get in contact.... gord.barr@sympatico.ca
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Postby Malcolm Lake » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:27 pm

I don't think you should worry about being excluded from VRRA events in the near future. Sometimes opinions are just that, and not the voice of the club.

Mick, apparently from the wags that had an opinion to share, I shouldn't lend either my wife or my (our) rig, especially at the same time, but thanks to Paul and Marie, that's how I got into this sport. It actually should shift better for you if there was a next time as a spring had broken and it might be even more fun. Paul said to me after I had my first ride, he would not let just everybody on their rig and I feel the same way about you. One gets a feeling, you know. I hope your collar bone mends swiftly and you will be back on the track soon!

Cheers!

Mal
Malcolm Lake
VRRA Member

Postby mixstup » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Hey Mal,

If I get the opportunity to ride your rig again,rest assured I will try and treat your beloveds with the respect they deserve...Im sure they would both humble me if I so much as make a small mistake.It was a huge honour and a pleasure to be granted a ride on your rig at North Bay and Im very grateful.The only problem is that Im getting hooked and I'll probably keep bugging you and asking daft questions until I get my own,looking forward to seeing you at Mosport.Maybe Scott McKenzie will volunteer to be my monkey!! :mrgreen:

All the best

mick :D
member#1400 race#75
Thanks to Denis and Byron at CMR Racing Products , Phil Havens and all at Thornbury Home Hardware and Jim Keast
mixstup

Postby BANDIT » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:36 am

All I can say is that I'm looking forward to popping my cherry at the Mosport Festival.
I did the school at Shanny a couple of weekends back and had the opportunity to go out for some practice laps with Craig on his F-2, what a blast that was.
At the Festival I will be in the chair on Gords rig and really looking forward to getting back on the track again.

Cheers, BANDIT
Graham Charnock
VRRA #999
RACE #666
I'm the guy you (USED) to look over your shoulder at as you pass me down the long straights.
BANDIT
VRRA Member

Postby limy_1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Good on ya!

Just in case nobody has said it......

Welcome to the dark side :mrgreen:
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Return to Sidecars