Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

prospective sidecar builders

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

prospective sidecar builders

Postby paul whittaker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:22 am

Over the years I have spent time trying to get commercial frame builders "Frame Crafters" and our own Dennis Curtis for two, to try their hand at sidecars, so far with no luck. So the few front exit built in the last 10 years this side of the border have been mostly from my bench, with the exception of Pete McKinstry, Willy Kenny (sort of Canadian) and John Wilson. Sorry if I missed anyone.
a couple of potential racers have asked about details concerning building a frame themselves, and my door is always open. Let me be clear here; I am not the sole source, not do I have all the knowledge available. I can however help you get started and hopefully avoid some common mistakes. My jig is crude and may well be improved upon, while I silver bronze my frames others will likely want to use electric welding, while I use DOM some will want chrome molly etc. So the intent is a starting point, which can lead to your own idea's. Sidecar has always been about innovating, nothing is writ in stone. I have just started a new frame and so the next week or so would be a good time to visit. Marie and I live about 1 hr north of Belleville off 62 and the Weslmkoon Lake Road. 613-474-2941 or e-mail at pmwhittaker@hotmail.com Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Re: prospective sidecar builders

Postby Paul&Sharon Bowyer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 am

For anyone considering building my original sixtees Fedaman (spelling?) is apart for frame repair. If someone would like to come and measure and photograph it PM me. It is a left hand chair kneeler set up for a Norton engine. Lots of room for other engines.
Paul
Using too wide a brush usually leaves a mess for someone else to clean up.
Paul&Sharon Bowyer
VRRA Member

Postby Bob Coy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Paul...Just curious about your statement "lots of room for other engines"...Where do you carry the other engines? Are they spares?
Bob
Bob Coy

Postby Paul&Sharon Bowyer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Bob Coy wrote:Paul...Just curious about your statement "lots of room for other engines"...Where do you carry the other engines? Are they spares?
Bob

Hi Bob, Anyone with enough stamina in the workshop to run a Norton engine in a sidecar is allowed to have a back up engine on standby. Besides the rules don't explicitly mention that you cannot have two engines in the same machine so it must be ok.........right?
Paul
Using too wide a brush usually leaves a mess for someone else to clean up.
Paul&Sharon Bowyer
VRRA Member

Postby limy_1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 pm

For those in the north east USA Andrew Fairbank has also fabricated a rig or two.
As Paul mentioned each rig is a little different because there is always room for improvement.
Andrew has done just that in his building design not to mention his own rig changes a little every year.
This past year he redid the grab rails. These grabs looked great, were functional and looked strangly familliar.
He had taken and used motorcycle handle bars and cut from each end to acheive the desired hight & length.
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Return to Sidecars