Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

Winter Sidecars , anyone?

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Winter Sidecars , anyone?

Postby 754 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:37 pm

I am running a fairly stock CB 750, now equipped with universal tires.
I plan on adding my sidecar platform, in the near future. I built that to run in a dirt oval, it mounts on left side, and has a mini-trail wheel on it. Hope to maybe get it on the ice.. been a long time since I ride a 750 on the ice.
Anyone else running a hack for winter use?

Re: Winter Sidecars , anyone?

Postby rabe_32 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Long Long time ago :!: :!:

I saw at St-Félicien in Quebec turing a National final ice race (1978 or 1979) a guy who ride a sidecar powered by honda 750 on ice with studded tire. :twisted: :twisted:

And a another team with a WASP sidehack, large wheel powered with a triumph engine

It's you ????

Any info ?????

Rabe_32
Last edited by rabe_32 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivre pour demain c'est de gaspiller aujourd'hui.
Vivir para mañana es despilfarrar hoy.
Living for tomorrow is wasting today.
rabe_32
VRRA Member

Postby 754 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Not me, I always lived in BC..
When we had the 750 on the ice it was without sidecar, it worked well on the ice. Saw a wasp framed XS650 at Bonneville(not being raced), had 3 magnesium Kimtab snowdlake mags on it, but they were quite beat up.. cool bike..

Postby paul whittaker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:40 am

A group of sidecar people from the USCRA (mostly New Hampshire) had a go at ice racing a few years ago, no idea if they still play in the winter. Seems like a lot of work for the time on the ice, but then we don't get a lot more track time in the summer. I have an aversion to freezing my arse off though. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby mike burke » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:14 am

paul whittaker wrote:... I have an aversion to freezing my arse off though. Paul.

Me too, and they said if you and Paul W had more meat on your arse you wouldn't find it as bad.... I've added 20 lbs since.. your turn Paul.. :?
Mike

Grampa #227

Enjoy life!
mike burke
VRRA Member

Postby Paul&Sharon Bowyer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:09 am

Gary and Mary McCaw used to race a Norton/Wasp back when. It was common at the ice races in Bewdly to see a sidecar class. Looked like a lot of fun.
Paul I wonder how well our Feddaman would work on the ice?
Paul
Using too wide a brush usually leaves a mess for someone else to clean up.
Paul&Sharon Bowyer
VRRA Member

Postby 754 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 am

I forgot to mention, I am riding the bike on the street, once the hack is on I can go all winter..

I only missed about 10 days , or less, last winte..r

Postby paul whittaker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Never knew the MaCaw's were old hands. you learn something when least expecting it. I would think a 4 cylinder motor would be too smooth for good traction, wouldn't a twin or even single get a better bite? I know a group up around Combermere used to run on the ice Burt Gallagher had a BSA single which did very well. Being a friend, Burt conned me into doing tech one weekend, never saw so many missing spokes with racers still expecting to run. They likely just borrowed a wheel and came back for the pass. Having a good snow bank around the course helps provide a soft landing for acrobats. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Return to Sidecars