Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

Vintage brakes

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Vintage brakes

Postby Stephen Szikora » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 pm

I was reading the vintage sidecar rules and I was surprised to see there isn't really a distinction between P1 and P2 chassis rules. In particular, I am wondering what people are using for brakes on P1 rigs. The rules say drums or single disc provided all components were available in the period. I know a favourite disc brake wheel is the KZ 1000 CSR rear which was available in neither period 1 or 2 so there is clearly some wiggle room here. So, what is being used for brakes in P1 (and in P2?)

Paul (I know your reading this) - has your plans kit changed since the 2002 update?
Stephen Szikora

Re: Vintage brakes

Postby chairman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:36 pm

since there was no disc brakes readily available during the p1 era disc set up are usually the stuff that was available during the seventies. some people are still running drum set up but disc is a good safety factor. p1 is a good era but not a lot people run it right now. guess people like the big cc engine. I have a p1 ready to roll , drum brakes
chairman

Postby paul whittaker » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 pm

to clarify: our P1-P2 sidecar rules were adopted from USCRA, who allow disc brakes due to the mass of concrete around their home track at Loudon. the two clubs worked together in the past so as to ease inter-club participation, (AM/CAN races etc). We dropped the XS650 maximum carb size to 34mm while they raised theirs from 32mm. chairs in both clubs use belly pans after running with the SRA where they have been mandatory for a decade.
As to what brake is legal if in doubt check with tech. The LTD/CSR wheels are used when available due to the 48 spokes which resist heavy side-load although the earlier KZ seem to stand up well also. Personally I am happy with a drum rear brake having not had much luck with rear disc brakes in the past.
does this post mean that Steve is looking at a chariot for next season?
yours, Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby Stephen Szikora » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Paul. I've always had a soft spot for sidecars (I'm a little bent that way) so perhaps one day soon I'll make it out. Maybe I should try one first. I've never even been on one before. (Then again, I've never been on Pamela Anderson before but I know I'd enjoy it ... kneeling or sitting!)
Stephen Szikora

Postby paul whittaker » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 pm

since there was no disc brakes readily available during the p1 era
as a side note I ran a disc on a solo Triumph (with a home made frame), and on sidecar with 10" mini wheels and home made disc set up during that era. The solo brake was a cobble up from an Airhart hydraulic go-kart brake caliper. http://s901.photobucket.com/home/paulwhittaker/index
Steve I would offer you a ride if I had a chair, maybe next year. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Return to Sidecars