Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

Mosport

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Mosport

Postby limy_1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:30 am

This year was a real different experiance for me.
I will admit when I come up to Canada it is already different being I am not working the races also as an official.

My first hurdle to over come was I had made arraingments for two different rigs to join us from the states and I was to passenger for one and we would find a second. For verious reasons neither showed now I was without a ride.
Next I would learn of two potnential rigs in need of passengers, lets cross my fingers. As it worked out I would ride with Frans only because Lorre the starter snagged Mike Wills to be the Assistant Starter.

I would have to earn this ride since it wasn't running quite right. After some tinkering we go out in practice to be embarased by the rigs performace, back to the drawing board. We had solved one of the many problems prior to practice only to find another problem. After chasing the gremlins we head up for our race. The other rigs were already out for thier Hot lap.
we are given the thumbs up and out we go. Cough, cough, sputter but we keep it rolling.
Bu the time we get thru Mosses all but a couple of the rigs in the race have now passed us and we haven't even seen the green flag! We then came in to the Hot Pit and borrowed a screw driver since the points were not opening on one side.
After a quick adjustment we were on our way out again. Again right at the point of no return on Pit Out the rig starts acting up again. On this embarasing lap I would see 3 rigs off th the side of the track, one can always hope.

After a frustrating day we go to work on the rig and work right thru practice on Sunday. Paul would offer advice and lend a part or two, Ralf donated a bunch of time and a little blood & Ian his mastery of the XS engine while teaching two of us more skills. We called it quits as race 7 was getting ready to start. Having done all this work our fingers were crossed and we were feeling pretty good about this race.

The hot lap was, well not so hot but it was a marked difference from Saturdays performance and it was starting to rain.
Even though we were not running the best the final rig to pass us on the start had to do that on the out side in turn 2.
We kept the rig running well enough to complete 4 or 5 laps, be lapped once and loop it exitting turn 10, Turn 1 and Mosses twice. While our motor performance was not thrilling we gave everyone else a thrill including ourselves.

On a side note due to Paul & Marie's frustration with thier power plant in their rig Paul sold his motor to a friend of mine who had broken his main shaft on his dominating Triumph. On behalf of Tim Joyce Thanks Paul and Marie.
Roger Preston
limy_1
VRRA Member

Re: Mosport

Postby BrianB » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:33 pm

Team 515 had a great weekend! Thanks to all that made it happen.
Plan for next year is to go full solar electric and forget about this gas thing!!!! Putting in enough gas for 7 1/4 laps for a 8 lap race does not work !!!!! BUT we had fun. :D
Thanks
Brian
BrianB

Postby Frans » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:02 pm

G'day all. I had a wonderful time and would like to thank absolutely everybody. I can't do it on an individual basis, I simply don't have the capacity to remember all the names. I can say that for me this past weekend has exemplified what this club is to me, a group of people that get together four times a year to pull together and race as a family would. I have had so many offers of assistance and been allowed to use so many parts & tools, it would not have been possible otherwise. Thank you all. It was truly an emotional weekend for me. I would especially like to thank Roger Preston who somehow not only allowed me to keep going after doing a 360 at turn 2 with nothing but wall facing him, but managed to make me look good in the process. Thank you so very much for all that helped including the 50 to 75 people standing at the entrance to hot pits clapping and cheering as we rolled by. It brings tears to my eyes telling that story to people.
yours truly, Frans.
Frans
VRRA Member

Postby paul whittaker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Glad to see the rig finally on the track Frans. for those who missed it, take a look the next chance you get: some remarkable fancy alluminium bodywork on this bike courtesy of another Mr John Crossley? who is a one time monkey himself.
I will bet a lot of spectators also missed the Vincent rig featured in Classic Racer "Red Molly" owned and raced by Pete and Denise Talabach. Thanks to all the US teams who made the trip. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby pz1morton » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Frans
I am glad to hear that you had a great time,despite the rig not working the way it was suppose to be,but if it did do you think you would have experienced all the generosity and found out how good natured these people are.and yes you are right it is very much like a family.it is never a dull moment in the pits.last minute this and that.talk to you soon Frans.

Regards Paul Morton

P.S. nice PJ's and the next coffee is on you.
69 CB350 P1
89 FZR600 P4F2 / Endurance Bike
VRRA # 757
RACE # 757

Remember this we pay to play not get payed to play
Besides it's my story and i'm stickin to it c
pz1morton
VRRA Member

Postby Cheetah » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:30 pm

[quote="BrianB"]Team 515 had a great weekend! Thanks to all that made it happen.
Plan for next year is to go full solar electric and forget about this gas thing!!!! Putting in enough gas for 7 1/4 laps for a 8 lap race does not work !!!!! BUT we had fun. :D
Thanks
Brian[/quote

Brian,

I kind of figured out that gas shortage thing. That's why I topped off after the sighting lap and started from the pits. Thank you for being so kind as to pull off on the last lap. You were going good and I never would have caught you otherwise. I'll have a bigger tank and maybe a couple of extra horses when I return in 2011.

Bruce

PS, I would like to buy 2 of the event shirts everyone was wearing. I waited a bit to loong before going to get one. Any chance I could get someone to mail them to me if I send them a check in advance? Thanks
Cheetah

Return to Sidecars