Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum Sidecars

fairing bubbles

Discussions to do with sidecars.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

fairing bubbles

Postby paul whittaker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:13 pm

This applies to the fi/glass nose pan and fairings made by Ron Brooks, every year or two I take my vacuum form to Ottawa and get some bubbles made. last time I ordered Implex as a tougher but more easily scratched material over the Acrylic. This year Implex seems to be harder to obtain and I can get Lexan for not much more $25-30 per bubble (2 screens). which do you people want ?? right now I lean to 1/2 of each.
FEEDBACK PLEASE. <pmwhittaker>
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby bfd » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:24 pm

Paul
I'm definately in if it may fit my fairing. Do you have just the one mold or is there some room for adjustment? I can make some measurements of the base/mounting area if helpful
thanks
bfd
bfd

Postby paul whittaker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Hello bfd ? these fairings were built for the sidecars simply because there were non available, other than a sporadic pipeline from the USCRA. the bubbles do not fit the fairings or nose pans made for Bob Coy, we have tried them at the track, And yes I only have the one form.
so if you are a solo racer it is highly unlikely they will fit. never say never. The bubbles are also made a bit heftier than the solo style. There are at least 6-8 of these fairings out here and the intent of the post was to find out if those owners would prefer Acrylic, or Lexan at the slightly higher price should they need replacements, before I have them made, not much time since the form is at the plant. Paul.
paul whittaker
VRRA Member

Postby Malcolm Lake » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Is lexan period correct? *wry grin* The extra cost is not worth worrying about, at least if we hit a flocking bunch of seagulls we won't end up in the Hudson. I'm in whichever way you decide Paul.

Mal
Malcolm Lake
VRRA Member

Postby ian bruce » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Lexan existed in the sixties for racing applications, and before. Was it used for vintage windscreens? No, because they were then modern!

Lexan was being sold commercially, starting in 1957.

Jim Hall was using it for the skirts on his "Hoovermobile" Can-Am car, until it was banned for sucking up the pavement and throwing it out the back.....

I'd suggest Lexan over the other plastics mentioned, any day of the week.

Ian
ian bruce
Site Admin

Postby bfd » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Ahh, you are correct Paul, we did try to fit up my south-of-the-border fairing. I remember now. It must have been a Mill Street Coffee Porter haze that I couldn't break through.
Guess I was crazed by the thoughts of finally finding a windshield to tuck behind!!
bfd

Return to Sidecars