Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum General Discussion

Spamhaus and Board Access

Ideas, Opinions, Wants, Wishes.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Spamhaus and Board Access

Postby Brian Stevenson » Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:10 am

We use a service on the VRRA Forum that has a global blacklist (can I still use that word) of IP addresses that have been reported as being involved in nefarious activity.

The problem with that is that Rogers and Bell “lease” IP addresses. You don’t get a static, dedicated one and it changes every couple of days. You have no idea what the last person did with that IP and it may be flagged. It may be quite innocent as well. If they clicked on a link, it could install malware that uses their PC to send spam.

What’s supposed to happen is that Rogers and Bell (and hence resellers like TekSavvy) are supposed to update that database when they reassign the IP. They haven’t been doing that lately.

The result is that you get an IP address that’s flagged, and the Forum will not give you access so it pops up a screen from Spamhaus

You can self-remove your IP by clicking on the link provided by the board and walking through the steps. I can’t do this for you as the request has to come from the IP address that’s being blocked. This is for security reasons.

This is a great overview of what SpamHaus is and how to self-remove your IP Address

https://www.ipxo.com/blog/remove-ip-fro ... blocklist/

However, for the duration of the election I have disabled the integration with Spamhaus. You may need to clear your browser cache to remove the old page and have the browser re-request it.

I’ll keep it down for as long as I can, but I can already see the Forward Proxy getting hammered as there is now no filtering on these addresses. I’ll put some other stuff in place to try to mitigate it but it’s not going to be as elegant.

I would just ask that if a scammer does manage to get registered on the board, don’t click any links they may post.
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Re: Spamhaus and Board Access

Postby stevebem » Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:08 am

Thank you for your efforts Brian.

Until now I had thought that the Spamhaus was a caf in Camden.
#413. Steve Bem
Pre65 CB72
P2 MWT CB400f
P3 LWT GpZ 550
stevebem

Return to General Discussion