Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum General Discussion

Endurance races and lap records.

Ideas, Opinions, Wants, Wishes.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Endurance races and lap records.

Postby kirbster » Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:11 am

I’d like to open this topic once again.
As this past weekend the P5F2 lap record was eclipsed in the endurance race.

I still fail understand why:
1. When we know the class of machinery
2. When it is a club sanctioned and managed race
3. When it’s pretty easy to determine who was on the bike.

We do not use these times.

While true not many riders are even capable of setting fast sprint like times in an endurance, clearly there are a few who can and do so quite regularly.

Surely we should move to have this change made….. no?

It’s seems unfair to those who have put in the effort.
Kirby Crosby VRRA #252
kirbster

Re: Endurance races and lap records.

Postby livetoride21 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:11 pm

I would agree with you in that there should be lap records for endurance as well, however rolling them in to the sprint race records would not be fair to those who hold the records in those sprint races unless we completely changed our system for lap records.

For example, last year I beat the p3 light lap record on a p3 light bike, but racing a p3 middleweight sprint race.
It did not qualify as I wasn’t running the correct race for it to.
While it’s frustrating, it kind of makes sense, as it is one thing to chase a carrot that is faster than you, it’s another to force yourself to go faster.

What I think should be done (and would be easy to do) is to add retroactively add lap records for endurance lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight, and modern lightweight if we deem that appropriate.
In addition, we should have another category that is the overall club lap record.

This will keep people pushing themselves and their bikes as it’s another cherry on top.
Kevin Renshaw #916
livetoride21

Re: Endurance races and lap records.

Postby kirbster » Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:12 am

livetoride21 wrote:I would agree with you in that there should be lap records for endurance as well, however rolling them in to the sprint race records would not be fair to those who hold the records in those sprint races unless we completely changed our system for lap records.

For example, last year I beat the p3 light lap record on a p3 light bike, but racing a p3 middleweight sprint race.
It did not qualify as I wasn’t running the correct race for it to.
While it’s frustrating, it kind of makes sense, as it is one thing to chase a carrot that is faster than you, it’s another to force yourself to go faster.

What I think should be done (and would be easy to do) is to add retroactively add lap records for endurance lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight, and modern lightweight if we deem that appropriate.
In addition, we should have another category that is the overall club lap record.

This will keep people pushing themselves and their bikes as it’s another cherry on top.

I understand your point but endurance is different to your example as the bike entry defines what the native class of bike is. You are talking about the bump up. You entered the class with what is an underdog for that class. But you entered the class. Not quite apples to apples but I get your point.

While endurance has broader classes (Heavy, Middle, Light) we identify the actual native class that they are running.
For instance, P4F2 within the broader Middleweight class.
We do know this because we need to know for proper handicapping.

We do not know that you are running an underdog bike in a bump up class. You are merely running a bike that fits the class you entered.

It's a subtle difference but a real difference.

I would not be opposed to tracking Endurance only and overall lap records.
Kirby Crosby VRRA #252
kirbster

Return to General Discussion