Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum General Discussion

Transponder Problems???

Ideas, Opinions, Wants, Wishes.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Transponder Problems???

Postby Brian Stevenson » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:07 am

The old Yellow and Red AMB Transponders are getting really old and Mylaps are just taking the piss by selling you a new X2 transponder and then charging you to use something that you already own.

The Yellow and Red ones can be repaired. https://www.racingtransponderfix.com/

I'm in no way associated with this company but recently had a great experience. The price is very reasonable, turn around is very fast and if you have a red or yellow one that is dead or acting up they can probably repair it and save you some money on the cost of a new one + subscriptions.

Another quick comment.

I build the scheduling, gridding and timing software for 2 auto racing series in North America. We are using RFID tags to track cars through the timing loop. Its 100% accurate up to around 95 Miles/Hour. Has the VRRA looked into this? I don't think any track that the VRRA rides has a speed > 95 through the timing loop.

You can get a sheet of RFID tags printed in China for around $20 for 20 tags and you can just hand them out to club riders and visitors instead of having to manage transponder returns, charging, repairs, etc.. Almost all Motocross series globally now use RFID tags for timing. They just stick them below the peak on the helmet.

There is one issue where you cannot stick it directly on top of the sheet metal of the car, but this can easily be solved by putting a double square of truck cap foam on the body and sticking the tag on top of that.

It would be a heck of a lot cheaper and simpler than AMB.

Just a thought
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Re: Transponder Problems???

Postby rsracer » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:40 am

SOAR used RFID tag scoring and timing for many years. I believe Ken can give you the ins+outs of using these tags. SOAR are now using another system that is compatible with the AMB system. Again, worth talking about the other racing clubs.
rsracer

Re: Transponder Problems???

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:36 pm

I ventured the RFID idea with our Race Control team. I thought it was a wonderful idea. Cutting to the chase: not going to work for us.
Ian McQueen
Ian
VRRA Member

Return to General Discussion