Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum General Discussion

Paul Smart

Ideas, Opinions, Wants, Wishes.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Paul Smart

Postby Stan Nicholson » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:14 pm

Sad news. Paul Smart, our guest of honour at the 2010 Vintage Festival, died on 27 October in a street accident in the UK while riding his motorcycle.

I first met Paul at Mallory Park in 1965 when we were both entered in a Clubman’s event, both on 125cc Bultaco TSS’. Mine tightened up in morning practice and while Pat and I were cleaning up the piston and cylinder, Paul came over to help. I made the race and finished but, unfortunately, Paul’s bike seized. We often raced at the same events over the next few years until we left the UK for Canada in 1967.

We met Paul again at Pukekohe in 2007 where he was one of the guests and had a chance to reminisce about our racing in the 60s and some of the characters we raced with.

He was a down-to-earth kind of guy with a ready smile and spent time wandering the paddock at Mosport talking to the competitors.

He will be missed.

Stan
Stan Nicholson
VRRA Member

Re: Paul Smart

Postby MGill » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:14 pm

Sad news indeed Stan.
Thanks for sharing your memories.
I only ever met Paul at the 2010 Mosport event,
but can confirm your description of him as a “down to earth guy who wandered the paddock” as
when I met him I was frantically working on the sidecar and looked up to see him with a concerned and somewhat perplexed look on his face. “Confounded bloody things they are” he said. We shared a smoke, a few laughs and a good chat.
RIP
Last edited by MGill on Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
#39 BMW
Member #1336
www.mmmotowerks.com
MGill
VRRA Member

Postby The Flying Fossil » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:48 am

Definitely one of us. I knew him slightly from his appearances in the South African TT and we shared some laughs at the 50th at Mosport.

If it's time, then he went the right way - out riding.

Glad I knew you.

Les.
The Flying Fossil
The Flying Fossil
VRRA Member

Postby Orry » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:09 pm

As many of you know Paul and Maggie Smart came to our event in 2010 at my invitation. They enjoyed their time here and indeed we had only recently discussed a return visit. A true gentleman, racer, and a kind human being that enjoyed the comradeship of our sport of Motorcycle racing.

He enjoyed his time at the 2010 VRRA Mosport event, thought the track was great & enjoyed the heck out of what he thought was a really good motorcycle club. High praise indeed from a charming person!

Paul was a good friend and I will miss him...
Kevin Fletcher
Orry

Return to General Discussion