Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum General Discussion

Medical insurance to race in the U.S.

Ideas, Opinions, Wants, Wishes.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

Medical insurance to race in the U.S.

Postby Michael Vinten » Thu May 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Ingle Insurance cannot provide medical insurance for motorsports at this time. Does anyone know of any other suppliers of medical insurance for motorsports?
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Re: Medical insurance to race in the U.S.

Postby bwaller » Thu May 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Mike, you can add the hazardous sports option and cover amateur motorcycle racing. In used them for the USCRA race two weeks ago.

https://www.sevencorners.com/insurance/ ... ic/HW7C6YH
Which way'd they go?
bwaller
VRRA Member

Postby Michael Vinten » Fri May 24, 2013 7:58 pm

I read the policy and it specifically excludes "riding or driving in any kind of competition" - page 12. The hazardous sports option includes riding a motorcycle. Thanks for the info but I would not be willing to race under this policy.
Mike #19
Michael Vinten
Tech Committee

Postby thelittleguy » Sat May 25, 2013 5:25 am

How about medical ins for Quebec?Ohip covers for ontario , what happens in Quebec if any ontario based rider needs a hospital stay while competing over there?
Steve
thelittleguy
VRRA Member

Postby Craig » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:16 pm

While looking into coverage for the Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio, I was directed to this gentleman, a fellow racer who understands our situation completely. Not cheap, but it seems to be absolute coverage...

Brandon Parrish
owner | broker | RiderSurance | 888.803.9433
direct: 502.253.6747 | f: 502.253.6748 | e: bp@RiderSurance.com
1304 Autumn Sun Ct Suite 201, Louisville, Ky 40243
http://ridersurance.com/
Craig
Craig
VRRA Member

Postby pacomotorstuff » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:26 pm

And if you think medical insurance costs a lot to race in the US, I know of one racing team who doesn't do the Isle of Man anymore, pretty much due to the cost of med insurance alone.
And I heard of someone who fled the US of A owing 175 grand in hospital fees 'cause he didn't have med insurance. A badly broken leg, not a heart transplant.
So the next time you're whinging about all the money your guvmunt grabs from you, thank your lucky stars for OHIP. I've seen crashes at Mosport that would have cost you 3 or 400K for med fees in the US.
Racing of any sort ain't cheap.
Regards,
Pat Cowan,
Vintage Motorcycle Fiberglass
pacomotorstuff
VRRA Member

Postby Dewey » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:29 pm

When I tried to tear my finger off at St. Croix a couple of years ago, I waited till I got back to Ontario for medical attention. The doctor told me that OHIP works in la belle provence.
Roadracing motorcycles makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Peter S. Egan
Dewey
VRRA Member

Postby racerdude413 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:13 am

I have moved this into the annoucement section so we don't lose this information.
Dominic Aubry

When in doubt, gas it!!!
racerdude413
VRRA Member

Postby killerdwarf » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:02 pm

I have a buddy who races GNCC in the US. He gets his insurance through CIBC. It covers him for competitions, and pays the hospital directly. Many policies do not. You pay when you are released, and submit the claim. I have another buddy in BC. He was paralyzed in a race here in Ont. You ARE NOT covered by OHIP if you are in a different province! He did not know this, and people at the hospital in London did not know this either. It was worked out however, and London Health Sciences Hospital took care of his life flight back to BC, after they informed him it was taken care of, and wasn't. A $28,000 bill was sent to him. An administrator from the hospital admitted the mistake, and took care of the costs. When you leave this province, make sure you are covered!
killerdwarf

Postby Dave M » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:25 am

I started to pay attention to this because of of our first attempt at competing at Barber. My regular coverage is with Great West Life and they sent the following reply to my inquiries:

"Coverage is available in the event of a medical emergency when:

*An individual is traveling for the purpose of participating in an extreme sport or sporting activity (being paid or not), or for vacation purposes and participates in an extreme sport or physical activity.
I hope this is what you were inquiring about.

Denna
The Great-West Life Assurance Co."

I'm not sure if they supply short term coverage or not but it would be worth inquiring. The wording is pretty plain though. They also cover transportation and a follow-up visit if required.
The trouble with trouble is that it starts out as fun.
Dave M
VRRA Member

Postby Dave M » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:47 pm

Re: AHRMA race insurance
Post by Dave M » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 am

Apparently, CIBC does not cover this anymore as of November 2018.

I found 2 insurance providers - https://www.tugo.com and http://www.hudsonhenderson.com.
They were both the same coverage and price - $370 for a weekend of out of country amateur motorcycle racing covering medical costs up to $500,000.
I went with TUGO - no specific reason to go with one or the other. It may be the same provider anyway judging by the quotes which were exactly the same.
The trouble with trouble is that it starts out as fun.
Dave M
VRRA Member

Postby DEREK.S » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:46 pm

Dave M wrote:Re: AHRMA race insurance
Post by Dave M » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 am

Apparently, CIBC does not cover this anymore as of November 2018.

I found 2 insurance providers - https://www.tugo.com and http://www.hudsonhenderson.com.
They were both the same coverage and price - $370 for a weekend of out of country amateur motorcycle racing covering medical costs up to $500,000.
I went with TUGO - no specific reason to go with one or the other. It may be the same provider anyway judging by the quotes which were exactly the same.

Thanks so much for finding this information for us. We are hoping to do some rounds in AHRMA this year.
DEREK.S#577
DEREK.S
Tech Committee

Postby aburns113 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:05 pm

CAA now has insurance that will cover you out of province and out of country if you are roadracing. And rates seem reasonable. I know a few people used it for the CSBK test days in Florida

https://caasco.oriontravelinsurance.ca/
Alan Burns
Team Shoulder Check 2.0
2020, 2021, 2022 Modern Lightweight Endurance Champions
http://www.facebook.com/adbracing
aburns113

Postby Wayne McKinnon » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:47 pm

CAA insurance.

I just reviewed coverage that CAA offers. Here is an excerpt
(Note: don't rely on me. make sure to review it yourself in case it is no longer accurate. Also, I have no idea the cost.)

Regular travel insurance Exclusions
Any high risk activity (including competition and speed contests)n

Optional coverage - Professional sports and Participation in speed contest coverage:
You will be reimbursed for expenses incurred as a result of injury or sickness while participating, training, practicing or competing in a [professional sport
Wayne From Canada
#486 - Ex-Peter Hurst P1 Norton Atlas
Wayne McKinnon

Return to General Discussion